How do you localize AppManifest.xml ???

Question

• How do you localize the AppManifest.xml is it with x:Uid ???

In my instance I want to localize the File Type Association so windows explorer display the File Type using localized string resources, is it possible ?

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hi ClementM,

Sorry for a late response, I'm not able to reply you days ago.

Just test to change my system to Chinese region, I found the name of the app also the description has been changed.

I think you would be interested with following documentation: Loading strings from the Windows Store app manifest. You could write your Appmanifest like below if you have the language resource:

<DisplayName>ms-resource:String1</DisplayName>

Besides, see this to know how to add string resource: Quickstart: Using string resources

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi ClementM,

A question I'm confusing, if I have a jpg file in en-us culture, the file type will changed to another one when I was in a different culture or language?

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:34 AM
  • The image file can be localized easily using en-US or fr-CA in my case but all the strings in the AppManifest.xml (the App Name, for instance) doesn't have that counterpart so you have to either make them language independent or choose which description will fit be the best in all language...
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hi ClementM,

Sorry for a late response, I'm not able to reply you days ago.

Just test to change my system to Chinese region, I found the name of the app also the description has been changed.

I think you would be interested with following documentation: Loading strings from the Windows Store app manifest. You could write your Appmanifest like below if you have the language resource:

<DisplayName>ms-resource:String1</DisplayName>

Besides, see this to know how to add string resource: Quickstart: Using string resources

--James

Monday, February 16, 2015 9:09 AM