none
Problem with Microsoft Report on Terminal Server RRS feed

• Question

• My company is working on a project (VB.NET 2010 and the reportviewer that comes with it) since a few years and now we have started the beta tests and one customer uses Terminal Server. On his computer all the things we print are not correct : the fonts seem to be bold, a part on a right aligned number is erased by the table...

I have made some research and it seems that if the client of TS uses a 4/3 resolution there is no problem, but as soon as the resolution is not 4/3, the problem appears (any report, has the problem).

I have posted the problem on a non monitored forum, and I was told that the resulr of Windt / Height of the screen had to be the same on the main screen and on the client computer to solve the problem. It didn't work. After some tests, the client screen (in the parameters of TS) MUST be in 4/3. On a 24 inch computer, it means 1024/7686. If the customer chooses another resolution, it will not work (of course he can choose 320/240 but it doesn't fit very well on a 24 inch).

The rapport is perfect when I am not using Terminal Server. Only with Terminal Server and a resolution that is not 4/3 I have the problem.

Can someone please help me?

I have posted the question on another managed forum : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformsdatacontrols/thread/c0823109-a491-4671-8ca1-f1d8f897ad6c

And I was told to put the question back there.

I have tried to change the resolution of the screen by code with ChangeDisplaySettings but it didn't work (it doesn't work in Terminal Server). when I list the available resolutions, only the current one is shown.

Thank you

Marc

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I have received an answer from the support.

Here is what I have been told

1)If the print layout is in Normal mode, the it is correct on the screen but not on the printer.
    2) If I want to print I have to use the exportation to PDF and then print the pdf.

3) It is impossible to solve the problem in the current version because it is a problem with the Metafile (that is used internally) by the report and the metafile is device dependent.
    they have agreed that it is a bug but it can not be corrected in the current version. For the next version they will normally use the XPS format internally instead of the EMF file so this problem will be solved. This change can not be made in a service pack, so it will be for the next Report version. It is possible that the next version will not have the XPS feature if there are too many problems to do it (it takes too many time).
    They plan to do a KB article in the future, but it should take a month minimum.

The case I opened will be given back to me as it was impossible to know this problem as there is no KB article.

Thank you again for your time

Marc

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

• Marc,

This is a known by design limitation. I noticed that Cathy already confirmed with you on this issue, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsreportcontrols/thread/432163aa-f3b8-4691-9c01-e612edd8c2d4

If you do not like the solution and want a fix on this issue, please submit a new feedback to connect website or make a phone call to Customer Support Services (CSS) for more professional and dedicated assistance.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Hello,

Her workaround didn't work and as there was no answer and the question was posted on the unmonitored newsgroup, I have posted this question to be on the monitored newsgroup, but putting the same screen as miene on the server as primary screen didn't solve the problem

Marc

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Marc,

I underst and your concerns, however this issue requires higher level in-depth troubleshooting to probe the root cause and solution. You need to contact CSS for further assistance.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hello,

I have contacted the MSDN support with one of my 2 cases. I have also given them a small project to show the error. I will keep you informed if you want

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Thank you Marc,

Appreciate you post the result here once you got the resolution from CSS.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Hello,

I have received an answer from the support.

Here is what I have been told

1)If the print layout is in Normal mode, the it is correct on the screen but not on the printer.
    2) If I want to print I have to use the exportation to PDF and then print the pdf.

3) It is impossible to solve the problem in the current version because it is a problem with the Metafile (that is used internally) by the report and the metafile is device dependent.
    they have agreed that it is a bug but it can not be corrected in the current version. For the next version they will normally use the XPS format internally instead of the EMF file so this problem will be solved. This change can not be made in a service pack, so it will be for the next Report version. It is possible that the next version will not have the XPS feature if there are too many problems to do it (it takes too many time).
    They plan to do a KB article in the future, but it should take a month minimum.

The case I opened will be given back to me as it was impossible to know this problem as there is no KB article.

Thank you again for your time

Marc

Friday, September 17, 2010 6:57 AM