none
How to make VS 2013 to recognize the latest update

General discussion

• I installed the latest update - update 5: 12.0.40629.00 as shown by the following:

However, Extensions and Updates still thinks the current version is the old one: 12.0.31101.0, and keeps asking for updating:

Could anyone offer a tip on this?

This is not a critical problem, but a minor nuisance. 

Hong

• Changed type Hong (MA, USA) Friday, March 18, 2016 1:50 AM Per suggestion
    Sunday, March 13, 2016 2:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Hong,

How do you install Update 5 for your Visual Studio 2013? I download the Update 5 from official site and install it separately. I don't find this update in my Extension and Updates list.

If you update from the Updates list, please restart your Visual Studio 2013 again after installing update 5. And if the notification still exist, please try click the Update button to check what will happen.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 14, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Thanks a lot for looking into this, Weiwei.

I had done everything you mentioned before posting the question:

• Restarting VS2013 a few times.
    • Restarting the computer.
    • Clicking "Update" again that leads to download VS2013.5.exe, and installing it again.

I updated it by clicking the "Update" button, then downloading VS2013.5.exe, running it after closing all instances of VS2013.

Hong

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi Hong,

Please check whether you have enable Automatically check for updates in Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Extensions and Updates.

Then please make sure installing Update 5 as administrator. If the problem still exist, I suggest you repair your Visual Studio to check whether it can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 1:17 AM
  • Thank you for your persistent help, Weiwei.

Yes, "Automatically" has been checked all the time.  Per your suggestion, I started VS2013.5.exe as an administrator, and selected "Repair", then restarted the computer after the repair was finished.  Unfortunately, the issue remains.

As I wrote before, this s not critical, but just a minor nuisance.  I can live with this without any problem. 

Hong

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Hi Hong,

I install the Update 5 for Visual Studio 2013 without any other updates installed. Do you have installed other Updates (Update 2, Update 3 or Update 4) before install the Update 5?

We often install the Update with the Visual Studio ISO installer together, which won't have the notification for new updates.

Since this issue is not critical and we can use Visual Studio normally, I suggest you change this thread to General Discussion. It can let other communities who has any thoughts about this issue to share their ideas.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Thank you, Weiwei.  I made the change per your suggestion.

Yes, I installed every update prior to this one.

Hong

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:51 AM