Blend 2 startup/installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've seen similar questions here, but no one exactly described my situation. Maybe somebody can help - for me, it's urgent.
    I had the following system: Windows XP SP 3, VS 2008 SP1, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Expression Blend 2.
    I had to reinstall VS 2008 and VS 2008 SP1, but after that Blend 2 doesn't start normally. Flash screen appears, then window is opened, but it contains only title bar, inside the window I see a fragment of desktop. Processor is more than 50% busy with Blend. I can restore window and close it, but nothing appears inside of it. All it happened after VS2008 reinstall. I installed Blend 2 SP1, it didn't help; removing and reinstalling Blend 2 didn't help too.

What can I do now?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 3:32 AM

All replies

• It's a pity that noone answered my post. I uninstalled Windows and installed it again, but it didn't solve the problem. After some experimenting I found one possible solution - not sure I'll not get problems further, but, by the moment, it worked.

I noticed that the program started first time and showed the entire window. Then 2 dialogs were opened: suggestion to take part in user experience program and welcome screen. I closed the first, unchecked the checkbox in the second (not to be bothered with windows), and next time I started Blend 2 - I received only title bar, and that's all! So, I opened regedit, went to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Expression and removed the folder "Blend" (this is the folder, where the choice about the dialog concerning taking part in user experience program is stored). Blend started, dialog appeared... and window behind it too! So, when Blend opens dialog, it opens the window behind (and I can work with it), if no dialogs, I see only title bar - and no contents, and no possibility to work! So, I chose Help, Welcome Screen, checked the box, and now every time I start Blend, Welcome Screen is opened - and program is started normally!

Unfortunately, I got similar problem with Expression Design 2, and it has no Welcome Screen, just about user experience problem. So, to start it, I have to edit register every time...

I'm interested in your feedback - is it a well-known issue? I have XP SP 3 + Russian MUI. Does my post help somebody? Does somebody read this forum?
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Hi there Valeriy,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.
    My installation went really smoothly but I'm using Windows Vista.
    At work I'm using Windows XP and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for posting about your fix!! :)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting this and putting this in much detail. I will give this a shot on a test machine to see if it can be reproduced.

Just want to confirm the scenarios

Windows XP SP3 english with the RU MUI. Install .Net 3.5 SP1 and Blend 2.

Is that correct?

Thanks
    Jeetendra Kukreja [MSFT]
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:57 PM