Deploy Lightswitch HTMLClient app to Azure Cloud service RRS feed

• Question

• I have a "hello world" Cloud Business App that I want to deploy to Azure. I can deploy to a website ok, but once I start deploying to a cloud service SharePoint seems not to be finding my app at all.  I naively assumed that the cloud service deployment would be quite similar to the Website deployment, but it seems I am missing something important.

So this is my deployment process (using SharePoint 2013 dev site, Azure subscription, VS2013):

I create my Cloud Business App project, add a token Screen with "hello world", done.

On my SP dev site I open appregnew.asp to get a new ID and secret.

In VS I hit "Publish" with the following parameters:

• "Provider hosted"
    • "Windows Azure"
    • Select my subscription
    • "Cloud Service"
    • Select the Cloud Service ("SPTestService"), "Production" Environment, set Deployment Name, select storage account
    • No HTTPS
    • Insert secret as received from appregnew
    • dto for Client id
    • "Where is your Lightswitch application hosted?" This would be the cloud service, correct? So I enter the name of my cloudservice: http://sptestservice.cloudapp.net

Hit publish. Everything goes through with no problems.

If I RDP into my cloud service instance I can see that my stuff is there (under the "HTMLCLient" Directory) and I can run my uploaded app inside the cloud service machine just fine.

I get back to appregnew.aspx and complete the Registration:

• enter app Name
    • now: App Domain - that would be my service again, right? So I enter "sptestservice.cloudapp.net"
    • no Redirect

Save, no Problems.

I upload the generated app file into SharePoint "Apps in Test", no problem.

Now if I hit the link to my freshly installed app, the browser keeps going for quite a while and then tells me that "the page could not be displayed". While spinning, the browser tab does show (presumably correctly?) the address of my cloud service.

Anybody see what  I am missing here? Been banging my head against a wall for two days now ...

Most grateful, thx

bluewater

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi bluewater

Azure Cloud Services provide reserved, infinitely scalable, n-tier options running on a Platform as a Service (Paas). Azure Websites are for quick and easy web application and service deployments. You can start for free and scale as you go. So if you do not need all the other advanced services like Business Analytics, Service Bus, or Identity that the Azure cloud services provide and you only have a LightSwitch application to deploy, then an Azure website is the right choice.

Deploy to cloud services see Andrew & Brian’s post: Publishing LightSwitch Apps to Azure with Visual Studio 2012

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2012/06/07/publishing-lightswitch-apps-to-azure-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx

Please follow the steps to deploy Lightswitch HTML Client application to Azure Cloud service.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by bluewater_99 Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:44 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi bluewater

Azure Cloud Services provide reserved, infinitely scalable, n-tier options running on a Platform as a Service (Paas). Azure Websites are for quick and easy web application and service deployments. You can start for free and scale as you go. So if you do not need all the other advanced services like Business Analytics, Service Bus, or Identity that the Azure cloud services provide and you only have a LightSwitch application to deploy, then an Azure website is the right choice.

Deploy to cloud services see Andrew & Brian’s post: Publishing LightSwitch Apps to Azure with Visual Studio 2012

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2012/06/07/publishing-lightswitch-apps-to-azure-with-visual-studio-2012.aspx

Please follow the steps to deploy Lightswitch HTML Client application to Azure Cloud service.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by bluewater_99 Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:44 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hi Angie,

thanks for your reply. Brian's post is actually the one that I was following, however it does not answer the questions that I mentioned. However, in the meantime I have discovered that I'll probably be OK publishing to a web site rather than a cloud service, so the problem has kind of gone away for the moment.

Thanks for your help!

bluewater

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi Angie,

Unable yo publish lightswitch applications using VS2015 to Azure when using SDK 2.7.1

Please let me know how to Resolve.

Regards

Rama Dwarapudi

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:28 AM