none
BROKEN: MSDN Site community content submit RRS feed

• Question

• Folks:

Trying to submit "community additions" to MSDN documentation pages via the "Add" button is broken,often returning:

"*Error occurred while saving your data." message

This has been the case for some time.

I have just completed testing this on page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb513617%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I have tentatively determined that if the title plus body exceeds some quite short length like 200 characters, then the submit fails with the error message.  I can reliably get submit to succeed with a short title + message, and fail with a long combination.

PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS! Not only would I like to be able to post, but more importantly I'd like the benefit of everyone else's posts!  Not to mention it makes Microsoft look incapable of writing and testing a web application.

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for reporting this Graham.  I'll make sure some folks internally are aware of your report .  

This isn't actually MSDN Subscriptions feedback but I don't know that there's a better forum for this, and its an important post, so I'm going to leave it here.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Thanks Mike for your attention.

As a followup, I might point out not just that posting is broken, and should be fixed, but that evidently:

• Testing of the website's posting function is broken.
    • Review of posting statistics is broken, otherwise the posting pattern should have alerted admins that something was wrong.

Anyhow, I do hope this gets fixed soon.

-- Graham

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:05 AM
  • Woops, posted from the wrong account :) 

Thanks for the additional feedback about processes that would keep this issue from arising again.  I don't have any response about those additional measures from the team, but I did hear back that they fixed the posting function yesterday.

Can you try again and confirm?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Awesome, Mike!

I can indeed verify that longer posts don't return an error page, and do appear in the list of community additions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb513617%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

That was very quick work. Thanks very much for your taking note of the issue, and playing an intermediary role... I think Stack Overflow has shown us how incredibly valuable community-generated content can be for developers, and this repair is an essential step in that direction for MSDN docs.

-- Graham

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:55 PM
  • Great Graham!

I'll past your feedback to the team as well.  Happy weekend!

Mike

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:21 PM
  • FYI. It's broken again -- not sure if it's the same issue or not, as I can say, I have honestly never seen this work -- neither in IE or Chrome. -- I don't understand how the comments get there as I've never seen it work (over the past several years) -- so, whoever is testing this stuff needs to get on the ball, because this is ridiculous -- a simple form-submit shouldn't be that hard to get right...

Here's the one I'm trying to add content to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.interop.word.range.wordopenxml(v=office.14).aspx
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hey it is STILL broken, someone reported it broken still in Nov 2013 and it is not March 2014 and its still not working.

The link in question is, however I am sure its more widespread than just two pages.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms257362(v=vs.80).aspx

Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:37 PM