Azure File Sync - Server Clean Up After Tiering - New Volume on same server? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for options to clean up a server after tiering has massively reduced the disk usage.

We've got a 2TB volume that's now down to using less than 100GB thanks to tiering. Trying to shrink the volume is only freeing up a very small amount of space though and defrag won't shift the system files that are blocking it.

I'd like to create a fresh volume on the same server, but AFS won't allow multiple endpoints for the same share on the same server.

Any suggestions for the easiest way to move the AFS endpoints to a clean volume on the same server, preferably without breaking the Windows shares?

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 3:42 PM

Answers

• You will need to remove the old server endpoint and create a new one on the new volume. If tiering is enabled on the new endpoint, only the namespace information will be downloaded initially at which point users can access the data and in the background the file content will be downloaded to fill the space based on your preferences.
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:25 AM

All replies

• You will need to remove the old server endpoint and create a new one on the new volume. If tiering is enabled on the new endpoint, only the namespace information will be downloaded initially at which point users can access the data and in the background the file content will be downloaded to fill the space based on your preferences.
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:25 AM
  • OK. So as local file share configuration is stored in the registry and points to path via drive letter, I should be able to remove the old server endpoint, change the drive letter of the existing volume, add a new volume with the old drive letter, and then recreate the server endpoint using the same path as before.

Thank you.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:41 AM