none
Application Insights post-GA pricing structure elaboration RRS feed

• Question

• Regarding the new Application Insights pricing structure (post-GA), there is a need for elaboration regarding how nodes vs. node allowance vs. additional GB vs. daily/monthly billing is counted.

For Application Insights how is data counted when tracking from multiple nodes?
    Are the 200 MB allowance from each node summed up (5 nodes => 1 GB/day)?

When exceeding the 200 MB/node/day cap, how will an additional 1 GB be applied and billed?
    For 5 nodes where 2 nodes exceed 200 MB/day (assuming node allowances are not summed up), will 2x1 GB (distinct for each node) or 1x1 GB (shared for nodes) be billed?
    Will such additional GBs be billed per hour or per day?

Thank you, in advance.

Regards

Michael M. T.
    Architect and developer @ Accobat A/S
    Twitter: MMThornberg

• Edited by Michael M T Monday, November 21, 2016 11:03 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 10:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Thanks Manish and Abby for your replies. I think we're pretty close here, but there are a couple of clarifications for Michael.

1. "Daily limit: ((12+14+16+9+9)/24)*200MB = 500MB".  This 500 MB is not a limit, but rather the daily allowance of data based on the number of nodes submitting data. It's basically a grant of free telemetry volume paid for through the number of nodes sending data.
    2. You mention, "Nodes collectively produce 1123MB, resulting is overage counting (1GB) and an effective limit of 1500MB." There are no limits (unless you have set a daily cap on the resource). You are charge simply for the data you send. Abby correctly calculates that the overage will be the difference of the total volume of data submitted for the day (1123 MB) minus the data allowance from the observed nodes (500 MB), or 623 MB. The cost for this is pro-rated and in USD would be $2.30/GB * 0.623 GB =  $1.43.
    3. Note that monthly 1 GB of free data volume only applies to Application Insights resources that are in the Basic pricing plan. Unless you need to use Continuous Export

In the next couple of weeks you'll be able to see the node count for your existing Application Insights resources on the Features + pricing blade, and we are making a lot of clarifications to the FAQ on the on pricing page as well.

Are you considering using the Enterprise plan because you need to use Continuous Export or the Application Insights Connector to OMS Log Analytics. If you think it would be easier to simple expose these are add-on features to the Basic plan, please vote for this UserVoice suggestion.

Thank you

Dale

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

The node pricing model is slightly complex to calculate.

- The overage charges are calculated for all the nodes summed up. So if only a couple of nodes sent more data which lead to exceeding the daily requirement they will be summed up and billed by per GB.

- The overage GB's are billed  on a daily basis with no carry-over.

- The only complex part is the daily limit in per node model. There is FAQ section on pricing page which explains this. The gist is if you have 5 nodes, it is not automatically 1GB a day limit, but depends on number of hours each of this node is sending telemetry data.

Thanks,

Manish

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Hi Manish,

Thank you for your response.
    Please let me know if I understand correctly.

Daily limit per node is listed as per full day. Effective daily limit is calculated as (x is hourly use by node): ((x1+x2..xn)/24)*200MB

If the nodes collectively exceed the daily limit then an overage charge for 1 GB (initially) will be counted. This counted overage will be available to all nodes.
    Counting overage is done daily and follows daily limit counting, thus resetting each day.
    Since limits are counted daily, overage is counted after end of day.

Example:
    5 nodes, with hourly use: {12,14,16,9,9}
    Daily limit: ((12+14+16+9+9)/24)*200MB = 500MB
    Nodes collectively produce 1123MB, resulting is overage counting (1GB) and an effective limit of 1500MB.
    End of day both daily limit (hourly usage by node) and overage counting are reset.

Is the example correctly illustrating the pricing model?

Thank you, in advance.
    Regards

Michael M. T.
    • Edited by Michael M T Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:02 AM Different understanding of limit/counting periods.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hi Michael,

To start off, let me make sure that you have a link to the official documentation, which is the FAQ at the bottom of this page: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/application-insights/ I'll try my best to address your questions, but that may help as well.

You're quite close here. :)

You're absolutely correct about how the daily limit works ("((x1+x2..xn)/24)*200MB" for each node).

Once the subscription hits the limit for its nodes, extra data will be billed as overage every hour (not at the end of the day). This overage can be fractions of a GB.

In the example you provided, #1 and #3 are correct, but I'm not sure what you mean by #2. I would expect the data over the limit (1123 - 500 = 623MB) would be charged as overage throughout the day. It would be charged as a fraction of the price of overage per GB.

5 nodes, with hourly use: {12,14,16,9,9}
    1. Daily limit: ((12+14+16+9+9)/24)*200MB = 500MB
    2. Nodes collectively produce 1123MB, resulting is overage counting (1GB) and an effective limit of 1500MB.
    3. End of day both daily limit (hourly usage by node) and overage counting are reset.

I hope this helps!

Abby

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks Manish and Abby for your replies. I think we're pretty close here, but there are a couple of clarifications for Michael.

1. "Daily limit: ((12+14+16+9+9)/24)*200MB = 500MB".  This 500 MB is not a limit, but rather the daily allowance of data based on the number of nodes submitting data. It's basically a grant of free telemetry volume paid for through the number of nodes sending data.
    2. You mention, "Nodes collectively produce 1123MB, resulting is overage counting (1GB) and an effective limit of 1500MB." There are no limits (unless you have set a daily cap on the resource). You are charge simply for the data you send. Abby correctly calculates that the overage will be the difference of the total volume of data submitted for the day (1123 MB) minus the data allowance from the observed nodes (500 MB), or 623 MB. The cost for this is pro-rated and in USD would be $2.30/GB * 0.623 GB =  $1.43.
    3. Note that monthly 1 GB of free data volume only applies to Application Insights resources that are in the Basic pricing plan. Unless you need to use Continuous Export

In the next couple of weeks you'll be able to see the node count for your existing Application Insights resources on the Features + pricing blade, and we are making a lot of clarifications to the FAQ on the on pricing page as well.

Are you considering using the Enterprise plan because you need to use Continuous Export or the Application Insights Connector to OMS Log Analytics. If you think it would be easier to simple expose these are add-on features to the Basic plan, please vote for this UserVoice suggestion.

Thank you

Dale

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi Abby and Dale,

Thank you both for your input.

The information about overage charge being for the actual data volume only is new to me. Reading the FAQ et al I gathered overage charge would be counted in increments of 1GB.
    Thank you for clarifying this.

Initially it was indeed my understanding that the daily allowance (which I actually called it in the first entry) was dynamically increasing throughout the day, as nodes each node hourly count adds to the pool.
    This allows for a scenario in which at fx 2PM the allowance is barely passed, but in the next few hours all nodes produce such small amounts of data that the allowance pool is increased (by simple calculation), but the recorded data only increases a little. In this case there would be no overage charge.
    Is this correct?

Basically it is a question of whether allowance and overage charges are calculated hourly or daily.
    From your posts I understand that it is done hourly.

Also, thank you for the UserVoice link - I will definately consider it.

Regards

Michael M. T.

• Edited by Michael M T Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:31 AM
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Abby and I are on the same team, but I think there was a bit of a disconnect between us on how this needs to work. Sorry this has been rather confusing. The calculation for data allowance and any overage will only happen a the end of the day (in UTC), when we can fully account for the number of hours we observe each of the nodes. I am updating the documentation at our pricing page to make this rather complicated process clearer.

Thanks for your persistence and patience.

-Dale

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:26 PM