Technologies for remote monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly, apologies if I am in the wrong forum here but I cannot find one suitable for my general question and this is (possibly) the closest I could get - without knowing the answer to my question, that is.

I would like some advice on what technologies to use for a new application I will be working on. The application will consist of a 'local unit' which will be a box of hardware with inputs and outputs to a device under test (DUT). There will be a single board computer (SBC) in this box which will be running Windows. We will probably want to view the state of the inputs and maybe control some outputs directly from this box.

Now, if that was all we wanted to do then I would know how to go about it. I would write a Windows application using WPF with code in C# using .NET drivers supplied by the manufacturers of the input/output devices. I have written many systems like this. However, we also want to be able interact with this box from remote locations. Ideally, we're thinking that we want one or more users to be able to connect over the internet (with the required security info) to view the input states and also to control the outputs. We want the remote devices that are to connect to our system to only require a standard browser to do this (and not require any special application or drivers to be installed on that remote machine).

Could someone please advise me as to what technologies I need to use to develop such an application? If possible, I would like to use tools I already have available to me in Visual Studio 2012 (Professional Version). I have done some reading on ASP.NET, MVC, WCF, etc. in an attempt to work this out for myself but that has just confused me further.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:42 AM

All replies

• Based on your knowledge of .Net, I think you should create a WCF service(expose that on http using WSHTTP binding) and use that within your ASP.Net website.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply, Prakash. I will look into those technologies in greater detail.

I hope you don't mind that I haven't marked this as the answer just yet but I would welcome the opinions of others too so would like to leave this open for now.

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:32 AM
  • You're welcome GBBO.

I would also recommend that you do a proper evaluation and pros and cons of different options available.

My suggestion is purely based on your knowledge and the widespread usage of these technologies. Since ASP.NET & WCF developer community is big, you'll easily get different design ideas\suggestions that target these specific technologies.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.

Friday, November 22, 2013 10:18 AM