none
WP Silverlight App Fails to Load after moving form 8.0 to 8.1

Question

• (Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  I wanted in a phone forum, but the choices were limited.)

I recently updated an app from WP 8.0 to 8.1 (Silverlight).  When attempting to upload the XAP to Dev Center, I received an error saying package identity name was invalid.  After setting the package identity name to the expected value, the app no longer loads.  It doesn't throw any exceptions, or even seem to reach the code.  When the phone/emulator tries to launch the app, the animation of the OS going away starts and then the phone just goes back to the home screen.  Any advice?

Thanks.

• Moved by David_FF Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:30 AM more related to publishing store apps
    Monday, January 9, 2017 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Since your issue is more related to publishing Windows Store apps, I will move this thread to the store forum for better help.

Best Regards,
    David

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:30 AM
  • Hi Scott,

First, please check if you miss the Splashscreen.png file in your assets folder, which is the additional requirement when you upgrade your app from 8.0 to Silverlight 8.1.

If you don't include it in your package, it can bring some problems even if your app passes certification.

Also, you'd better refer to Upgrade Windows Phone 8 apps to Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 and Prepare your Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app for publishing in case of something you miss.

Please feel free to update here. Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I've seen those pages before, but they haven't helped. I've converted a prior app from 8.0 to 8.1 with no issues, so I'm not sure what's going on this time.  The Splashscreen.png asset is present in the Assets folder.

I'm seeing odd behavior: After retargeting the project to 8.1, and editing Package.appxmanifest and WMAppManifest.xml per your 2nd link, the app fails to load.  If I put a guid (any guid) in Identity Name, the app loads fine in an emulator or device.  If I revert the Identity Name back to the value in Dev Center, the app stops loading again.  It almost seems as if it expects a guid there and perhaps the retargeting didn't work properly.  I've tried retargeting multiple times (fresh copies of the 8.0 version, of course) with VS 2013 and 2015, but I continue to see the same behavior.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Hi Scott,

How did you upgrade your app? Right-click the project and select retargeting it to 8.1?

As far as I'm concerned, identity name doesn't have to be in GUID format. Would you mind sharing your identity info page in Dashboard and your package manifest (view in code) screenshot so that we can make some test?

Also, you may submit an incident here so that support can help you check with closely looking at your app.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:29 AM
  • I tried creating a new 8.1 Silverlight phone app from scratch and copying the values over without changing any other code and it too, failed to load.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Package xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2010/manifest" xmlns:m2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2013/manifest" xmlns:m3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2014/manifest" xmlns:mp="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2014/phone/manifest">
      <Identity Name="31858SeatofOurPantsSoftwa.ScientificCalculatorPlus" Publisher="CN=3B63F645-ABCB-43CA-A12D-5F6E714C8E79" Version="4.12.2.0" />
      <mp:PhoneIdentity PhoneProductId="3a1e6df3-c1ac-4f24-9157-c42373825e92" PhonePublisherId="76af6fc0-be31-4c88-a659-272828f0fa1e" />
      <Properties>
        <DisplayName>Scientific Calculator+</DisplayName>
        <PublisherDisplayName>Seat of Our Pants Software</PublisherDisplayName>
        <Logo>Assets\StoreLogo.png</Logo>
      </Properties>
      <Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.3.1</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.3.1</OSMaxVersionTested>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="x-generate" />
      </Resources>
      <Applications>
        <Application Id="x3a1e6df3yc1acy4f24y9157yc42373825e92x" Executable="AGHost.exe" EntryPoint="MainPage4p.xaml">
          <m3:VisualElements DisplayName="Scientific Calculator+" Square150x150Logo="Assets\SquareTile150x150.png" Square44x44Logo="Assets\Logo.png" Description="SOOP Calculator Plus" ForegroundText="light" BackgroundColor="#464646">
            <m3:DefaultTile Square71x71Logo="Assets\SquareTile71x71.png">
            </m3:DefaultTile>
            <m3:SplashScreen Image="SplashScreenImage.jpg" />
          </m3:VisualElements>
        </Application>
      </Applications>
      <Extensions>
        <Extension Category="windows.activatableClass.inProcessServer">
          <InProcessServer>
            <Path>AgHostSvcs.dll</Path>
            <ActivatableClass ActivatableClassId="AgHost.BackgroundTask" ThreadingModel="both" />
          </InProcessServer>
        </Extension>
      </Extensions>
    </Package>

Thanks!

Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Mattew, is there anything I've done wrong with the config?  I'm wondering if any of the ID values might have been messed up when I created the app name for 8.1.

To answer your other question, yes, I did upgrade via the right-click retargeting. I submitted a ticket (SRX1369448228ID) to help about two weeks ago and ultimately was told they couldn't help with this issue and to try the forums.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:56 PM