publishing from VS2008, errors 'no web server name' and 'unspecified error' - please please look RRS feed

• Question

• User-206660101 posted

Hi,

Before I go nuts trying to break this, let me ask the real experts on this forum:

I'm trying to publish via FTP from VS 2008, to a Windows Server 2003 (Datacenter R2), running IIS 6.0. I have extendede the website. When trying to publish a ASP.NET website, I simply get:

Error: The operation could not be completed. Unspecified error

Actually some of the files are published, but not all. 

When trying to publish a web service via FTP to a site on the same server, I get:

Unable to add 'Billing.asmx' to the Web site.  Could not find a Web server at '174.129.202.119' on port 21. Please check to make sure that the Web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the Web server may be temporarily out of service.

Again, some files published, but not the .asmx file.

Earlier I had an error about not allowing executables for a specific folder, but that disappeared after I changed to "Script only" on the website properties.

ANY idea on my inability to publish would really be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Monday, June 8, 2009 12:22 AM

Answers

• User-206660101 posted

I got it fixed - I can say how, but not why:

I created a new project, an ASP.NET Web Application. I then transferred everything to from the previous project to this one, including references and all that.I then hit publish (still using FTP), but I notice a small difference here; it says "Publish web" in the title bar, and has the options of deleting the old files, among other options. For the one that didn't work, the title bar says "Publish Web Site", and there aren't options about deleting old files or anything like that. So, I have a different kind of project - not sure what it is (or was), but it's something that influencing the publishing for sure. 

/Anders

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:32 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Check permissions and make sure an FTP server is installed on the web server to accept FTP.

Jeff

Monday, June 15, 2009 1:23 PM
  • User-206660101 posted

Check permissions and make sure an FTP server is installed on the web server to accept FTP.

Jeff

It would be a bit mind-boggling to me if due to permissions some files can be uploaded via FTP, but some cannot (as described). Is that a scenario that you have seen before?

Monday, June 15, 2009 2:02 PM
  • User-823196590 posted

I have seen this behavior as well and have never been able to figure it out.

Monday, June 15, 2009 2:40 PM
  • User-206660101 posted

I got it fixed - I can say how, but not why:

I created a new project, an ASP.NET Web Application. I then transferred everything to from the previous project to this one, including references and all that.I then hit publish (still using FTP), but I notice a small difference here; it says "Publish web" in the title bar, and has the options of deleting the old files, among other options. For the one that didn't work, the title bar says "Publish Web Site", and there aren't options about deleting old files or anything like that. So, I have a different kind of project - not sure what it is (or was), but it's something that influencing the publishing for sure. 

/Anders

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:32 PM
  • User-727365369 posted
    Break it. It's mind-boggling how a simple thing like "publishing" via FTP gets so problematic. And the kicker is that it adds a file that effectively puts your site "offline" until you delete it. This isn't a client issue, I can use command line FTP and Dreamweaver (going as far as adding check in/out) to do the same thing. Just by this sentence all the discussion about firewall, file/folder permissions , ftp server setup, etc. etc. are rendered moot. There are some discussions about "passive mode" as well, and that's not it either. VS2008 ftp publishing is well, broken...sigh.... The round-about way? Publish to file system, and just use whatever other ftp client you have handy - that's how simple this job should be so whatever else VS2008 is doing...it shouldn't. If you don't have some FTP gui client, just use command line FTP...it'll save you all the wasted effort trying to do something that's been around since, wow, I don't know how long ftp been around...I just dated myself :) A case of "better together" isn't...unfortunately...
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:34 AM