none
txbxContent limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

The documentation for txbxContent says it can have a series of p child elements referencing the standard p element. However, we've discovered that a p/pPr/sectPr causes word to not load the document (and falsely identify the header1.xml file as the culprit).

Is there any list of any other limitations of what can be inside a txbxContent?

Also, any listing of any other limitations of what items under a <w:p> cannot occur where? For example, I would guess that a sectPr in a p under a hdr or ftr would be bad :)

thanks - dave

The future of B.I. - Raw & Uncut
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:54 PM

Answers

• The 03/18/2011 release of MS-OI29500 section "2.1.223   Part 1 Section 17.6.18, sectPr (Section Properties)" says,

-------------------------------

c.   The standard states that a sectPr element can be contained within any pPr element.

Word does not allow this element to be used on paragraphs within tables, headers, footers,
    comments, footnotes, endnotes, or text boxes.

--------------------------------

That does specifically prohibit use of sectPr in headers and footers as well as the others.

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Friday, June 10, 2011 6:16 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols team will respond soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Where is your txbxContent element?  [MS-OE376] 2.1.555 (and [MS-OI29500] 2.1.1753) covers placement of txbxContent but not specifically headers if that's what you're observing.  Can you point me to a sample document that demonstrates that error? 

Tom Jebo

Microsoft Open Specfications

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hi;

It was a document that our software generated (and Word then couldn't load). We figured out that it didn't like the sectPr inside a textbox. But what hit us was that the DOCX documentation says you can put a <w:p> not only in a textBox, but also in a hdr or ftr - and does not list that when you do that sectPr is not allowed.

So we were just wondering if there are any other places where it is not allowed (not in a hdr/ftr is obvoius - that would cause infinite recursion).

thanks - dave

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Did your sectPr element have any of the child elements that refer to any other stories (parts) of the document?  For example, footerReference?  I'm not sure if this is the problem but I can find out. 

9.8.1.1 uses the wording, "...References to other WordProcessingML document stories (comments, footnotes, endnotes)" and I believe this means all other stories and references to them by child elements of contents.  So maybe this could be clarified. 

Tom 

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:12 PM
  • It did have header & footer IDs.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Tom - We're fine with it not being allowed in a textbox. That seems reasonable. What hit us was on reading the spec, if we followed it correctly, is it also allows a sectPr in a hdr/ftr. And that clearly won't work. So we're wondering what other limits there are if any on it's placement.

thanks - dave

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Ok, understood, let me check it out.

Tom

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:06 PM
  • The 03/18/2011 release of MS-OI29500 section "2.1.223   Part 1 Section 17.6.18, sectPr (Section Properties)" says,

-------------------------------

c.   The standard states that a sectPr element can be contained within any pPr element.

Word does not allow this element to be used on paragraphs within tables, headers, footers,
    comments, footnotes, endnotes, or text boxes.

--------------------------------

That does specifically prohibit use of sectPr in headers and footers as well as the others.

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Friday, June 10, 2011 6:16 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Bingo!

Thank you. And that does mean content controls are ok (we've tested them and they do seem to work ok).

thanks - dave

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:17 PM