none
Auto Accept ICS Attachments to Calendar (without having to open) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am looking for some help with a technical issue I have. In my current workplace we have an automatic scheduling system that handles our appointments. When an appointment is booked (through a web based method we have no control over), we are sent an automatic email (all from the same address) with an ICS meeting attachment. We then have to open this attachment for it to appear in our calendars.

The problem - it is extremely time consuming and unreliable, as some people delete the email and pretend they never received it to avoid work! Setting Outlook to automatically accept meetings doesn't work, as they are ICS attachments rather than direct invites.

What I need (ideally) is a way to automatically accept the ICS meeting attachment when the email is received, without any user interface. This should then show up on our calendars automatically.

I have some experience in VBA, but this is extremely minimal and is confined to pasting other peoples solutions in there! So any help on this front would be amazing.

In case you need to know, we use Microsoft Office 2010, so the calendar and emails are all through Outlook 2010.

Thanks all.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We could save the isc automatically in our own computers when receiving a new email, but we are unable to force others to automatically save the attachment by using an add-in or VBS in their outlook.

Even we develop an add-in, users have their rights to decide if it could be loaded. It is like others can reject your emails or not read your emails and it is impossible to force them to do that.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of for public use, but the method I am looking at is no different from auto-accepting calendar invites. The only difference here is that the invite is in the form of an ICS attachment rather than a direct invite. It still only goes to the person who the appointment is booked with and is therefore not open to being modified by external sources.

In terms of saving it to our own computers, I know how to do this - the issue here is that it still doesn't automatically add it to my calendar when I do this. Only if I open the attachment directly. Once I open it, it shows as a Tentative appointment in my calendar, and even that is enough for what I need.

Is there no way to create an add-in, script, or VBA code to automatically open or add an ICS attachment to a calendar?

Many thanks

Jon

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

>>Is there no way to create an add-in, script, or VBA code to automatically open or add an ICS attachment to a calendar?

From Attachment Object (Outlook), we could automatically save it or delete it.

Unfortunately, Office object model does not provide any methods or properties to open the attachment.

Besides, based on OlAttachmentType Enumeration (Outlook) , there is no special type for an .ics attachment. 

Regards,

Celeste

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:45 AM