none
Kinect 2 Inconsistent FloorClipPlane reading RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully implemented the floor clip plane to measure the distance of left foot to the floor, which is fairly accurate. The problem I have is that as I move away from the camera (i.e. left foot Z axis is increased), the foot distance to the floor changes (increases).

Note: The floor itself is not tilted nor the Kinect stand.

I tested it with Kinect 1 and had the same result. The subject's head height (Y axis) also changes value as I move away or get closer to the camera. It does not matter of the camera is tilted or line of sight. the D value in the FloorClipPlane equation shows a constant number during the test.

A = bodyFrame.FloorClipPlane.X;
    B = bodyFrame.FloorClipPlane.Y;
    C = bodyFrame.FloorClipPlane.Z;
    D = bodyFrame.FloorClipPlane.W;

distanceLeftFoot = A * leftFootPosX + B * leftFootPosY + C * leftFootPosZ + D;

double divisor = Math.Sqrt(leftFootPosX * leftFootPosX + leftFootPosY * leftFootPosY + leftFootPosZ * leftFootPosZ); 

float temp=Convert.ToSingle(divisor);

distanceLeftFoot = (A * leftFootPosX + B * leftFootPosY + C * leftFootPosZ + D)/ temp;

Just to let you know, I have coordinate mapping between depth and colour. Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue. I am not sure if it is because of lens distortion of Kinect 2 due to its wide angle view.

Friday, November 6, 2015 12:53 PM