none
The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all --

I'm trying to migrate from Office 2003 to Office 2010. Last hurdle is a collection of Word 2003 document templates with embedded document automation developed using VS2005 and VSTO 2005 SE. The document customizations were published to a network file share.  The document templates were published to a Sharepoint 2007 site. The documents themselves (created over the years) are in Sharepoint as well - each customer has a nested site for customer specific correspondence.

I've tested backward compatibility using a Windows XP workstation running Office 2010.  Works just fine except for the annoying message "Some files can harm.." and the fact that my waternarks appear only on the first page instead of all pages.  Not too bad.  I can deal with that.

Now I'm attempting to use a new Windows client workstation running Windows 7 (32-bit) and Office 2010. I've hit the wall with the error "The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded".  I've tried settings like Trusted Locations, setting trust for both the Sharepoint site and the folder where the document customizations have been published. Nothing but frustration.

This seems like it would be a fairly typical real-world situation. Sombody must have dealt with this issue some time ago. I'm hoping the community can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

Karl~

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:15 AM

Answers

• Word 2003 templates are really not fully compatible with Word 2010 unless the user forces Word 2010 to save all documents in compatibility mode under Options>Save>Save Files in this format: .doc  -- and if your users are not savvy enough to find this setting on their own, then you must add code to your SaveDocument function to explicitly save as wdWord2003 (even though that is the default for Word 2003, its meaningful when executed by Word 2010).  If not then the document that gets saved is a ".doc" by name, but ".docx" in-fact.  So this in-turn causes several other undesirable things to occur. 

Karl~

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hello again --

Okay, so its been a day and I've done more reading.  Looks like the security model for .Net Framework 4.0 is not Code Access Security (CAS), which is being deprecated in favor of Security Transparent Code.  So I'm guessing that the security evidence collected by .Net Framework 2.0 (that used to be acceptable to Windows XP) is not acceptable to .Net Framework 4.0, Windows 7 - and since one cannot load .Net Framework 2.0 on a Windows 7 workstation with .Net Framework 4.0 installed, a different way to get CAS policy to work on Windows 7 must be found.

Perhaps installing a legacy application such as MS-Access would do the trick?

Looking for ideas.

Karl~

Friday, August 3, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Hi

I think so. Do you tried your thought? And would you please tell me your result of it?

T.X.

志异征诛,三让两家王朝
    功同开辟,一桮万古江南

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Hello again --

A week has gone by now and sadly, I'm still trying to get Office 2010 on Win7 to work like Office 2010 on WinXP.  I have since downloaded and installed .Net Framework 2.0 SDK and used its security tool to assert Full Trust to the same set of locations.  To me it looks like my setup is identical now, Win7 verses WinXP.  Document customizations load and run just fine on the old operating system.  They fail to load on Win7.  The error dialog box is the same as before "The customization assembly could not be found or could not be loaded." If I click the "Details" button on that dialog box an empty (blank) details pane appears.  Geez.  Nothing unusual in the Event Viewer either.

Still looking for ideas.  Thanks.

Karl~

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi Karl,

Thank you for your patience.  You have reviewed a lot of information from various sources so you may have seen one or more of the content sources below.  You can see more content by copying the exact message then pasting it as a string in quotes into the bing search argument bar. Among the hits from such a search are the content reached by the links listed here.

Word customization assembly won’t work - Microsoft Corporation ...
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/csharpgeneral/thread/81D031C1-53F7-4973-BC16-5BBE5E247943

See the final two posts in the thread in the following Forum issue:
    VSTO Customization Will Not Load Without Visual Studio 2008
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/58da0637-2b81-4ddd-82cb-3da7c6d9c2de

See the links to the content from Mary Lee in the following Forum thread:
    VSTO 3 or VSTO2003SE? - Microsoft Corporation: Software ...
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/9c0451c7-883c-4baa-be62-41e6698e3f97

Templates, Documents and Mail Merging - Microsoft Corporation ...
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vsto/thread/3A4811F1-EFC6-477C-A370-5495D1B81F51

Elderly content that starts with the basics:
    Must read for everyone trying to deploy VSTO solutions - Misha ...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2006/01/05/deployment-articles.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. and click "Vote as Helpful" this and other helpful posts, so other users will see your thread as useful. Best Regards, Chris Jensen

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Thank you cjatms,

Yes, I have read most all of that content -- but thanks for posting it.  The deployment related content is not much help in my situation.  Consider that I have deployed these document customizations for years.  They are still used everday by hundreds of users accross the USA and over 1.8 million documents have been created.  I can't redeploy in a manner that breaks compatibilty with any of my users that are still using Windows XP.  For these document templates to move forward I need to find a way for them to work on a Win7 client.  So while I don't understand what the problem is, I do understand what the successful solution would look like - it would be something I install on Win7 to make it work in the same way that XP does.

I have opened a support ticket with Microsoft.  We are still troubleshooting.  Thanks to everyone that has spent any time on this.  Best wishes.

Karl~

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Karl,

Did you ever find an answer? I have a similar problem with Win 7, VSTO 2010, .net 4.0, Excel 2007. I have an Excel Template that the user can create and works fine, as soon as they save it and try to go back in I get the same message that you get and no info in the Details section.

Tim

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Any answer on this?

aribeiro

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Word 2003 templates are really not fully compatible with Word 2010 unless the user forces Word 2010 to save all documents in compatibility mode under Options>Save>Save Files in this format: .doc  -- and if your users are not savvy enough to find this setting on their own, then you must add code to your SaveDocument function to explicitly save as wdWord2003 (even though that is the default for Word 2003, its meaningful when executed by Word 2010).  If not then the document that gets saved is a ".doc" by name, but ".docx" in-fact.  So this in-turn causes several other undesirable things to occur. 

Karl~

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:20 AM