New WPF App Setup Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,
    At the enterprise i work in, we are working on a new app, for the first time intirely developed using WPF.
    As a product designer, i would like the setup wizard to follow the innovative line of the product, and so i need some guidance on how to create a setup wizard similar to Blend's.
    It's time we break with those typical and boring setup wizards in which the only variable element was the image on left and banner on top.
    Can any one of the moderators help me understand how? Will fellows of the SW ENG team be in trouble? :)
    Thanks a lot, keep up the good work.
    Regards,
    Joao Carlos Lopes
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• Have you try to figure out how they build their own setup, I mean have you try to use process explore to find out and other tools??

From what I remember:
       They are using a Win32 Stub to check minimal prerequisite like .Net framework 3.x and to embed those prerequisite, the WPF installation application plus the MSI or Cab file;

Once the prerequisite installed they start the WPF application that probably have a wrapper around MSI and then they just call UI and call a couple of Windows installer function from the MSI com object or from the SDK.

Cheers,

Eric.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I'm looking for the exact same thing as you do. I have built a setup wizard in WPF but I have no idea how to pack it in one exe and make it communicate with msi. If someone had a tutorial or some documentation on how to build custom UIs for msi...
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:28 PM