Windows Development preview Metro Apps not working

Question

• Hello all,

I have installed Windows 8 on my tablet and everything is working great Super interface etc. but none of my metro apps work!

Only the windows explorer boots (in the ordinary windows environment)

But stock mail weather etc. just dont work. Not if i click and it doesnt get information from the internet.

Also PIANO and other games cant start.. how to solve this? 

Greetings and Thanks,

Frans

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hey Chandra,

Please try refreshing your PC to see if that allows you to access Metro style applications. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

You can refresh your PC by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click General in the left column
    • Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions provided on the page to continue with the refresh process.

Steven
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hey Havoc Angel,

You may have installed a video driver with the updates that were provided by Windows Update. Check to see if your desktop resolution is set to at least 1024 x 768. If either the first or last number is lower than 1024 or 768 respectfully, you'll need to increase the desktop resolution to use Metro style applications.

Steven
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:11 PM

All replies

• The minimum resolution for the metro style applications to run is 1024x768.  What is the resolution of your tablet?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Similar issue on my home PC.  My resolution is 1920x1080, so that is not an issue for me.  The apps: which includes tweet@rama, weather, news, labyrinth, tile puzzle, picstream, and word hunt in my case; only opens, but never loads any content.  I do not have a mail app, though.

Otherwise, loving the UI and functionality.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I have the same problem. Some apps work fine, but most of them don't start, or hang at some point.

Working:

- Internet Explorer

- Connect 5

- Socialite

Not Working:

- Tweet@rama (starts, you can press the login button but nothing happens)

- Weather (The progress circle is looping around and it doesn't do anything)

- News (Says Loading... and doesn't do anything after that. Buttons in the lower menu don't work)

- Tile Puzzle (Only one image is available on the upper part, but clicking on them doesn't do anything)

These are from the x86 build. All of the apps work fine on the x64+dev build (at least for me).

BTW: If these apps are crashing is there a way to get information about them? (Logs, etc?)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:02 AM
  • I had the same issue, I started to tinker around with resolution and found that resolution has to be set at 1024 x 768, anything else will not work, I'm sure this will be worked out once the beta version is released.

Hope this helped

-Mehdi

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Most Apps worked for me.

Only weather and news don't work. they start but I can't do anything.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Some apps crash if you have a live ID account. revert to a local account or create a new one.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Install Graphic Chipset Driver from Intel Site to increase your resolution.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Thanks, Sztupy.  This was the answer, in my case. 

Now, is there an existing fix for this behavior?  I'd rather fix this, than to work around it.

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi , I am running on my laptop . And except the apps control panel and IE10 , none of the other apps are working . I tried to fix the problem by creating a local account , not using Live Account and even that does not help . I'm running out of my patience .
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:05 PM
  • I have the same problem, the Metro apps worked fine until I had an issue with Windows and it restarted 5 times and then tried to auto-repair, check and fix the hard drive and then apparently everything was back, but when I tried to launch the apps, I would only see the loading screen and then just a green screen that leads you to the Start screen. My resolution is fine, 1440 x 900, so please don't say that's the solution. I can still use the Metro IE, the Metro Control Panel and I can see a preview of the Weather and RSS feeds, but the other apps just don't work.

Edit:

And I also want to make clear that I have a local account, not a Windows Live ID one.

• Edited by Agus_x_12 Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:47 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:45 PM
  • This is happening to me too. Some apps load and others don't please helpp
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:20 PM
  • I have the same problem, the Metro apps worked fine until I had an issue with Windows and it restarted 5 times and then tried to auto-repair, check and fix the hard drive and then apparently everything was back, but when I tried to launch the apps, I would only see the loading screen and then just a green screen that leads you to the Start screen. My resolution is fine, 1440 x 900, so please don't say that's the solution. I can still use the Metro IE, the Metro Control Panel and I can see a preview of the Weather and RSS feeds, but the other apps just don't work.

Edit:

And I also want to make clear that I have a local account, not a Windows Live ID one.

I have absolutely the same problem, metro apps stopeed working after I installed correct video drivers. Resolution is fine (1366 x 768), Metro IE10 works but any other metro apps - no.

Argus_x_12, if you have Visual Studio installed could you please try to create new metro app (C# / JS) and lauch. In my case launching fails with error "Unable to start Windows Tailored Application: Access denied".

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Some Apps create a logfile in AppData when they crash. Do they tell you something?

eg if weather crashes there is an ErrorInfo at:

c:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\microsoft.weather_8wekyb3d8bbwe\INetCache\

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I have this issue as well.  The default WIN8 OS works fine. Trying to isolate whwther the green screen is introduced by;

1. The default updates that come when the WIN8 Tablet goes online after first install.

2. The AMD gfx driver update for the Acer Iconia Tab W501 series.

3. The 3G connection Manager software from Acer to try and allow 3G use in the Win8 build or

4. A USB Mobile Broadband modem install (fails).

One of these 4 areas turns the WIN8 build from working, opening Metro Apps to the Green Screen issue.

Restarts/reboots do not help.

Cheers.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:32 AM
  • It doesn't help much. I created a local account and miracle happened - the apps worked... until the next restart - now in both accounts the don't work. My native resolution is 1366x768.

It really starts to annoy me.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:57 PM
  • what do you mean by a local account ?

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:24 PM
  • After install, my default resolution had been 800x600 and no apps worked.   I set the res to exactly 1024x768 and they work.
    rhfritz
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:00 PM
  • For anyone having the green screen issue when trying to access the metro apps, try adjusting your User Access Control to a higher level than off.  Go to control panel, then more settings if you did it from the metro app... then in the search bar type uac.. enter... click the Change User control Settings, move up at least one notch, ok, Yes... you may have to reboot as well.. not sure as mine is fixed ... but this will fix your green screen and get your metro apps working...it is also true that your resolution can not be low or they just don't do anything..  Hope this helps.
    • Edited by tsiehta Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Hey everyone,

If you have already set your desktop resolution to at least 1024x768 and you still cannot access any Metro style applications, try refreshing your PC. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel

Then follow the instructions provided on the page to continue with the refresh process.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    • Proposed as answer by Chase_Croley Monday, October 03, 2011 4:51 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Still no luck for me, no Metro Apps open except Desktop and Windows Explorer which aren't even really apps.  Even IE and Control Panel don't open.  They won't load from the hidden Applications folder either.  Reloaded twice, Refresh said it didn't make any changes, UAC is on and my resolution is at 1920x1080.  These are all the only items I've been able to determine as possible reasons from various threads.  Any others?  Every time I try a Metro App I get a error in the system log like below

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {BD3C9246-78F1-4233-9C88-92F1CF92E935} as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:

"31"

Happened while starting this command:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwahost.exe" -ServerName:Weather.App.wwa

If I run C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwahost.exe I get a note saying it must be run in an app container which I assume is what DCOM is supposed to provide.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Hey Apopkated,

Since refresh did not work, the next step will be to reset your PC. Here is what will happen when you reset your PC:

• Your personal files and apps will be removed.

Since you cannot access the Control Panel using the Start screen, we'll need to boot into the troubleshooting menu. You can do this by:

• Restart your computer
    • When the Windows Developer Preview loading screen appears, tap F8 on your keyboard
    • When the Choose an option screen appears, click Troubleshoot
    • Click Reset your PC

Then follow the prompts on the screen. You may need to have your installation media available for the Reset your PC process.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Hi Stridelps,

Yes...you are right....The default windows OS works fine...But after I installed USB 3.5G connection, the apps do not work anymore....Reboot, refresh windows...nothing helps....Anyway, did  you find the solution for this?

Could you let me know how to resolve this?

Thanks

By

Chandra

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:51 AM
  • Hi Steven,

My laptop set to 1024x768 resolution, installed chipset drivers also as per suggestion, I refreshed as well. But still it does not load any contents.

Apps open, but ends up with Green screen.

I tried "user account settings" on all the 4combinations, but none helps. Could you suggest me a better solutions.

Thanks

Sincerely,

Chandra

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hey Chandra,

Please try refreshing your PC to see if that allows you to access Metro style applications. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel

Steven
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:59 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for suggestion,

I refreshed the windows....but it does not help.

What I have understood from my countless efforts to solve the problem,

"The default developer preview works fine", if we install any apps whether it is a "pdf reader" or "a game" or 'MS-office" or "3G modem" add it whatever u install, the apps stops working.

I am having 1024x768 plus 1600x1280 on my monitor.

Do you suggest me some solution to resolve this.?

Thanks and good luck

By

Chandra

Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Refresh wouldn't even start on my system.  I'm in 1024x768 as well.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Refresh wouldn't even start on my system.  I'm in 1024x768 as well.

Created a NEW Account... For testing.. APPS are running now. It appears that something in the profile conversion process from 7 to 8 has HOSED the ADMIN account not allowing it to run any of the Metro Apps.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Refreshing my PC caused the metro apps to all work - success!
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hey Chandra,

Have you made any changes to the registry or to the User Account Control settings?

Have you tried testing to see if another user account encounters the same problem when or after any of the applications mentioned above are installed? If not, you can try this by:

1. Enter the Start screen
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Click Users in the left column
    4. Click Add a user
    5. Enter an email id if you would like to create a linked account and skip to step 9 (if you would like to create a local account go to step 6)
    6. Click More about logon options
    7. Click Local account
    8. Enter user name and password information
    9. Click Next
    10. Click Finish

Then log out of the current account and log into the new account.

Note: if you want the new user account to be an administrator account you will need to follow the steps below to change the new account from a Standard user to Administrator:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type User accounts
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click User Accounts
    • Click Manage another account
    • Click the new account
    • Click Change the account type
    • Select Administrator
    • Click Change Account Type

Steven
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Thanks, Sztupy.  This was the answer, in my case. 

Now, is there an existing fix for this behavior?  I'd rather fix this, than to work around it.

I think on a real device a user will always have a Live ID. To get the metro apps they will have been acquired from the Marketplace. To get content from the Marketplace you must have a Live ID. This has been circumvented in the community technology preview by way of having the Metro apps preinstalled. 
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 4:42 AM
  • same problem here , so many times i reinstall but after installing some apps , the metro apps stop working except ie , cp , we

so i did a new clean install and start to install my programs one by one and check , what i found is that after installing geovision main system software , metro apps stop working , why ? i don't know but i noticed during installation of geovision , that geovision did some modification to Microsoft .NET framework and installed Microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable.

THEN , found solution , geovision software also disable UAC , so i reenabled it , and what you know , metro apps is working again

• Proposed as answer by syava_m Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:01 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Yesterday I reinstalled windows developer on my computer and the apps worked right after install, but after using windows update, the apps fail to work. Any of them.

Any ideas?

Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hey Havoc Angel,

You may have installed a video driver with the updates that were provided by Windows Update. Check to see if your desktop resolution is set to at least 1024 x 768. If either the first or last number is lower than 1024 or 768 respectfully, you'll need to increase the desktop resolution to use Metro style applications.

Steven
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:11 PM
  • As sa3ad already reported - the problem is in UAC. I have some metro apps stopped working too, but when I enable the UAC (in regedit, EnableLUA set to 1) all of them work as new :)

Now the question is how to disable UAC but having metro apps still working???

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 11:06 AM
  • i also have the same issue my weather apps was working and after while from my instaling stop working come at the first then i get green page then take me to metr apps page i tried many times not fixed and i make new acount also not working ... im tired from that they must fix it
    • Edited by ahmed1981 Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:06 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Update: For the other users who have this problem, Ahmed1981 has found a solution which is posted in the thread linked below:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/f1244621-d682-4995-8875-0871b7ab83a0#1f52af76-1117-4b10-a45b-95b5b496476d

Hey Ahmed1981,

Check to make sure that you have installed the available updates for Windows Developer Preview. You can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Windows Update
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Check for updates
    • Click Check for updates in the left column

Then install any updates that are found. If that doesn't help, let's try refreshing your PC to see if that allows you to access Metro style applications. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel

Steven
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:00 AM
  • I've tried to run 2 different Metro apps from Visual Studio 11. Both give me an error similar to the following image.

I want to Refresh your PC without affecting your files but apparently, the system thinks I'm not an administrator.

But apparently, the system is only aware of 2 accounts and both of them are administrators.

And FWIW, I'm completely up-to-date... (sigh)

In lieu of a rage comic, here are some screen shots.

Any suggestions on how I can do the reset or refresh...?

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:29 PM
  •  

Any suggestions on how I can do the reset or refresh...?

The error code shows the cause:

// Immersive Application Error Codes
    #define IMM_E_MONITOR_RESOLUTION_TOO_LOW        _HRESULT_TYPEDEF_(0x80270232L) // The resolution setting for the target monitor is too low to show immersive applications

Your screen resolution is too small. Steven already told you that it requires at least a resolution of 1204*768. Check this please.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:53 PM
  • even my control panel app not working what should i do
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:59 AM
  • even my control panel app not working what should i do

go to the desktop, make a right clock on the desktop and check the that the screen resolution is at least 1024*768 pixel.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, February 04, 2012 3:33 PM