none
Сannot run Windows Server Migration Tools because a required version of .NET Framework is not installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I'm trying to complete migration from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016. My task is to migrate local groups and users in them (local and domain). There is a guide on technet.microsoft.com. On my target server (Windows Server 2016)  I've created Windows Server Migration Tools deployment folder (SmigDeploy.exe /package). Copied this folder to source server (Windows Server 2012 R2) and I need to Register Windows Server Migration Tools on source computers. That's where I've got error:

C:\SMT_ws12_amd64>.\Smigdeploy.exe
    SmigDeploy.exe is checking for prerequisites.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: You cannot run Windows Server Migration Tools because a required version of .NET Framework is not installed on the server. Install .NET Framework 2.0 or a newer release of .NET Framework on the migration source server, and install .NET Framework 4.0 or a newer release of .NET Framework on Windows Server 2012 and newer releases of the Windows Server operating system, and then run this command again.

I've installed .NET framework v 3.5 and 4 feature installed features

I've also installed:

• NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU (.NET Framework 4.5.2)
    • KB2975061-x64
    • KB2919355-x64
    • KB2932046-x64
    • KB2934018-x64
    • KB2937592-x64
    • KB2938439-x64
    • KB2959977-x64
    • NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU (.NET Framework 4.6.2)

And tried to use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool with no luck.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

To determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed:

1. To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 1-4)
      • On the Start menu, choose Run.
      • In the Open box, enter regedit.exe.
      • You must have administrative credentials to run regedit.exe.
      • In the Registry Editor, open the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

2. To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 4.5 and later)

open the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

More information, please refer to here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have installed the required .net framework, so the issue may be not related to .net framework.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MONaH-Rasta Monday, January 9, 2017 1:23 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Before you begin migrating roles and features, please verify that both source and destination servers are running the most current service packs that are available for their operating systems.

Updated migration guides for Windows Server 2016 are under development, so you should Install Windows Server Migration Tools on destination servers that run Windows Server 2012 R2, please refer to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/jj554790.aspx. But on your side, your destination servers is Windows Server 2016 and source server is Windows Server 2012 R2.

Please refer to here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134202#BKMK_registering to check the Windows Server Migration Tools supports the Windows Server operating systems.

According to this, you should install .NET Framework 2.0 or a newer release of .NET Framework on windows server 2016 and install .NET Framework 4.0 or a newer release of .NET Framework on Windows Server 2012 r2.

Since our forum is to talk about the setup of .net framework, if I misunderstand the concept of Windows Server Migration Tools, please let me know. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:35 AM
  • Hi, Joyce. Thanks for your reply. Your understanding of the Windows Server Migration Tools concept is correct. But I already did everything, that I think should be done to get Migration Tools 2016 work on Server 2012 R2 but they didn't work. As You can see in my previous post, the tool SmigDeploy.exe say's that there is no .Net when all versions are installed. I posted this question here, hoping there is some way to let this tool know, that .Net installed correct (after reading this).

M

Saturday, January 7, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

To determine Which .NET Framework Versions Are Installed:

1. To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 1-4)
      • On the Start menu, choose Run.
      • In the Open box, enter regedit.exe.
      • You must have administrative credentials to run regedit.exe.
      • In the Registry Editor, open the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

2. To find .NET Framework versions by viewing the registry (.NET Framework 4.5 and later)

open the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

More information, please refer to here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you have installed the required .net framework, so the issue may be not related to .net framework.

Best regards,

Joyce

• Marked as answer by MONaH-Rasta Monday, January 9, 2017 1:23 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 8:13 AM

• M

Monday, January 9, 2017 1:23 PM
  • hi 

how did you solved the issue ?

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 3:09 PM
  • Hi Monah, How did you resolve your issue?

Thanks.

Monday, April 13, 2020 5:18 PM