Is it possible to access mass storage device via USB interface level or driver level

Question

• Hi all,

I'm working on an windows store applicaiton which will access to USB devices. The question is whether we can access the mass storage device with USB interface. I have read the doc about the USB support in Win8.1 and got to know we can access it via Device.MassStorage namespace. But i need to communicte with the device more like a USB device:  such as reading the VID/PID, read/write IO, detect the insert and remove events ans so on.   It seems this is not allowed.  Anyone can give me some advice ?

Thanks.

Dong. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:44 AM

All replies

• Couldn't you write a driver to expose those elements?
    I'm not a driver expert, so I am going to move this to the hardware forum.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Couldn't you write a driver to expose those elements?
    I'm not a driver expert, so I am going to move this to the hardware forum.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thanks, Matt !
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:20 AM