none
Adding a space at the beginning of a div RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Expression Web to create my pages and, when completed, copy and paste the details as displayed in the Design frame into a Microsoft word document (using Word 2017 for a Mac).

Everything pasts as I would expect except the first line in a new div.  It places the information directly below the last line of the previous div.

Is there anyway to resolve thisv using css?

This is the statement for the first div

#joborders{
    width: 100%;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-
    padding-
    padding-bottom: 20px;
    }

This is the statement for the second div . 

#doc-body{
    width: 100%;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-
    padding-
    padding-bottom: 0;
    }

jacsdad

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:32 PM

Answers

• If it looks right in Design View and in browser preview, your CSS is correct.  Rather obviously, your CSS applies only to your web page, not to Word, which isn't reading your CSS. What Word does with a copy/paste from Design View is, well, whatever it does.  You can experiment with using line breaks rather than padding and see if that makes a difference, but, it's up to you to play around with that, or any other options you can think of.   (EW is not designed to be a Word input.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Marked as answer by jacsdad Friday, May 18, 2018 8:18 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:29 AM

All replies

• If it looks right in Design View and in browser preview, your CSS is correct.  Rather obviously, your CSS applies only to your web page, not to Word, which isn't reading your CSS. What Word does with a copy/paste from Design View is, well, whatever it does.  You can experiment with using line breaks rather than padding and see if that makes a difference, but, it's up to you to play around with that, or any other options you can think of.   (EW is not designed to be a Word input.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Marked as answer by jacsdad Friday, May 18, 2018 8:18 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:29 AM
  • You can experiment with using line breaks rather than padding and see if that makes a difference, but, it's up to you to play around with that, or any other options you can think of.   (EW is not designed to be a Word input.)

Wow, its been ten years (really, I joined in May 2008!), but in,all that time this is the first time I've seen anyone use EW as the input to MS Word. I've seen hundreds of posts where people have complained because they can't go the other way seamlessly, taking Word content and copy/pasting it into EW, but unless I've just missed it, there's never been a post going the other direction. Congratulations, jacsdad!  ;-)

BTW, I just tinkered around, and tried adding an empty line with a single non-breaking space in it ( ), and the blank line transferred into Word (2007). May not work in your version, but it's worth giving it a try...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Sunday, May 20, 2018 6:23 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:06 AM
  • Thanks for your guidance but I couldn't get it to work.  I was trying to do something that neither product was intended to do, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Again... thanks.

jacsdad

Friday, May 18, 2018 8:21 PM