Run my application through my other application

Question

• Hello i'm developing an application, that will display information about my other applications, it will look accordingly like this:

Main page will display some data, and in one corner there will be small rectangles ( custom made elements ) like tiles of applications.

So the question is, when i press on a application tile it should run my other application, how to achieve this?

How to run my own application through my second application? I'm looking for a code sample, working example or step-by-step tutorial. 

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:59 AM

Answers

• Hi CheeseFoma,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

It is sadly that you could not run any application from a windows store app.

Your app cannot select the app that is launched. The user determines which app is launched. The user can select any Windows Store app or a desktop app.

Please see the article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh779672.aspx

Best Regards!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hello. How I know, this feature available only on Windows Phone platform.
    Monday, September 2, 2013 7:58 AM

• Interesting, somehow i made this in Windows 8 application:

<Extensions>        
    <Extension Category="windows.fileTypeAssociation"><FileTypeAssociation Name=".testapplication">
    <Logo>images\Icon.png</Logo>
    <SupportedFileTypes>
    <FileType>.testapplication</FileType>
    </SupportedFileTypes>
    </FileTypeAssociation>
    </Extension>
    <Extension Category="windows.protocol">
     <Protocol Name="testapplication"><Logo>images\Icon.png</Logo>
    </Protocol>
    </Extension>
    </Extensions>

But when application with this URI doesn't exist it shows promt:

Do you want to search app store? - how to disable this?

I want it to return false or something...

Monday, September 2, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Hi CheeseFoma,

Welcome to MSDN forum!

It is sadly that you could not run any application from a windows store app.

Your app cannot select the app that is launched. The user determines which app is launched. The user can select any Windows Store app or a desktop app.

Please see the article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh779672.aspx

Best Regards!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Please check this sample project

https://activemetorfromwin32.codeplex.com/

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 8:57 AM