none
VS2015 Community Resource View window is empty

Question

• The project.rc file is compiling and the executable is working fine, but I am unable to make any changes to the resources using any of the methods described in the online help. The basic problem seems to be that the Resource View window remains empty despite all my attempts to fill it.

Unload/Reload of the project does not fix it for me.

The work-around is to edit the file using WinXP and VS6.0

• Edited by G109B2 Tuesday, August 02, 2016 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2016 11:15 AM

Answers

• Hi G109B2

In my side VS2015 Community, I have created a new C++ project and add a resource file through Resource View window successfully. You could create a new project with VS2015 community, observe whether the Resource View window is also empty.

If yes, this issue may be related your VS. I suggest you should repair your VS2015. Otherwise may be related to your project that created by previous VS version.

>>The work-around is to edit the file using WinXP and VS6.0

Was the project in your VS2015 Community created through WinXP or VS6.0? 

If yes, I think this may be caused by the compatibility of different develop environment. VS2015 and VC6.0 have some compatibility problems. I suggest you recreate a new project to realize your solution.

Sincerely,

OSCARW

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 8:30 AM
  • There is no "Add Resource" facility either.

In desperation I right-clicked the .rc file in solution explorer and chose "Open with" - and one of the options was "Resource Editor" - and it WORKS !! - and all my other .rc files can be edited in this way.

So what is the point of the Resource window ?? More importantly, why make it so f.......ng difficult ??

• Marked as answer by G109B2 Monday, January 01, 2018 2:46 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi G109B2

In my side VS2015 Community, I have created a new C++ project and add a resource file through Resource View window successfully. You could create a new project with VS2015 community, observe whether the Resource View window is also empty.

If yes, this issue may be related your VS. I suggest you should repair your VS2015. Otherwise may be related to your project that created by previous VS version.

>>The work-around is to edit the file using WinXP and VS6.0

Was the project in your VS2015 Community created through WinXP or VS6.0? 

If yes, I think this may be caused by the compatibility of different develop environment. VS2015 and VC6.0 have some compatibility problems. I suggest you recreate a new project to realize your solution.

Sincerely,

OSCARW

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 8:30 AM
  • I have now installed VS2015 Community on a second Win 10 system with the same result.

The VC6.0 projects were converted by VS2013 (now uninstalled) and the .rc files were extensively modified.

I created a new solution and a new project, which created a .rc file but the Resource Window remains blank.

There is something I am missing which is so obvious to everyone else that it never gets a mention.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:58 PM
  • There is no "Add Resource" facility either.

In desperation I right-clicked the .rc file in solution explorer and chose "Open with" - and one of the options was "Resource Editor" - and it WORKS !! - and all my other .rc files can be edited in this way.

So what is the point of the Resource window ?? More importantly, why make it so f.......ng difficult ??

• Marked as answer by G109B2 Monday, January 01, 2018 2:46 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 3:03 PM