Mobile 6.1: Smartphone (Phone Lock) vs PocketPC (Device Lock / PIN Lock) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Advance apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I am having difficulty understanding why the device lock behavior on the PocketPC (touch & non-touch screen, keyboard & non-keyboard) is different than that of the SmartPhone.

SmartPhone behavior:

1. Select Start, Settings, Security, Phone Lock
    2. Enter a security PIN (password)
    3. Set timeout to lock

... when device locks, the Today screen is displayed while the device is locked.  Pressing the unlock button (or any other key) prompts the user for a password.  Otherwise, calls can still come through and be answered and the Today screen remains viewable.

PocketPC (ex: TouchPRO) behavior:

Device Lock:

Enabling Device Lock simply locks the physical buttons and screen (interface) so as to prevent accidental input.  The Today screen is displayed while the device is locked.  Pressing the unlock button displays a screen to unlock the device - there is no password security.

Password (PIN) Lock:

Enabling Password Lock via Settings and supplying a password (ex: Simple PIN) does lock the device after designated timeout.  Unfortunately the Today screen remains hidden behind the security code input screen making it impossible to view information on the Today screen.  Ideally, there should have been an option to allow users to "opt-in" to display the Today screen.

Question

It would seem to me that since both devices are running the same O/S, it should be possible to change the registry to alter the default behavior of the PocketPC device so that it behaves more like the SmartPhone.  Clearly it is much more complex that I see it being; what am I not grasping?

Advance thanks,

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:03 AM

Answers

• I don't think that's the kind of customization a general user or developer can do. Maybe the OEM can. I would suggest that you post a suggestion to http://connect.microsoft.com .
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe I can make things a little clearer to you. Generally there are two types of locks for Windows Mobile (as well as any other smartphones on the market) - one is used to prevent unintentional user inputs (keypad/touch screen); the other is used to proevent unauthorized access to the device. The former does not require a password but the latter does due to its motive. The Windows Mobile Standard(Smartphone) does have the first type of lock too.

There are a few differences between Smartphone and PPC in applying the two types of locks, but I don't think it quite an issue if you understand them.

Regards,
    Chunsheng Tang
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Appreciate the time you have taken to respond.

I do appreciate that some folks may not wish to have the contents of the PocketPC viewable until the password is entered; that said;

The SmartPhone Password [Simple PIN] Lock (not SIM lock) permits the user to see the Today screen and when device unlock is selected, the Device Password lock password input screen is displayed to permit the user to enter the password.  On the PocketPC, the Device Password lock is always displayed making it impossible to view the contents of the Today screen until the password is entered.

Is there not a method to alter the behavior of the PocketPC to behave like the SmartPhone or must an entirely new application/service be written to override the built-in functionality.

Advance thanks,
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:19 AM
  • I don't think that's the kind of customization a general user or developer can do. Maybe the OEM can. I would suggest that you post a suggestion to http://connect.microsoft.com .
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Recently just broke my HTC Diamond touch screen. I am trying to connect to windows mobile device center but cannot authenticate device due to the screen broken. Is there a way to authenticate through my pc?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:11 PM