Intellisense - Autocomplete wont work on SSMS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have SQL DB 2012SP3 and management version 2016. I have tried almost all the steps to enable the intellisense. But somehow it is not working :-(.. tired of all the troubleshooting possible. The basic things are all tried, enabling from options, cache refresh etc.. 

Am running: SSMS 2018, Win10 1703 (virtual machine), SQL2012SP3 CU10 DB, V.Studio 2017.  Have tried on 2012 server as well, same results it wont work. 

Is there anything am missing?? 

System Security analyst at CapG

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have SQL DB 2012SP3 and management version 2016. I have tried almost all the steps to enable the intellisense. But somehow it is not working :-(.. tired of all the troubleshooting possible. The basic things are all tried, enabling from options, cache refresh etc.. 

Am running: SSMS 2018, Win10 1703 (virtual machine), SQL2012SP3 CU10 DB, V.Studio 2017.  Have tried on 2012 server as well, same results it wont work. 

Is there anything am missing?? 

Good day <?!?> (I assume Tushar_SCCMis not your name)

Note: There is no product "SSMS 2018". I assume that you mean SSMS version 18, which is actually SSMS 2019 if you want to go by the year of the product's released.

By definition if you really "tired of all the troubleshooting possible" then there is no way that we can help you since you already tried any option that we will think about😃 lets hope that you did not tried all possible options

Please clarify some more information

1. Does the intellisense works sometimes of it never works?

2. Is your SQL Server installed on the same machine as your SSMS?

3. What do you mean by "management version 2016"? Do you mean SSMS 2016? One time you speak about SSMS 2018 (which I assume is SSMS version 18) and on time you speak about management 2016. please clarify 

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Ronen,

To introduce, My name is Tushar...!! 

Sorry for the confusion, apologies..!! Am using SSMS 2018 version. 

1. Does the intellisense works sometimes of it never works?  -->> It never worked.

2. Is your SQL Server installed on the same machine as your SSMS? -->> No, SQL server installed not installed on same machine, i am connecting remotely from my Win10 machine using SQL authentication.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi Ronen,

To introduce, My name is Tushar...!! 

Sorry for the confusion, apologies..!! Am using SSMS 2018 version. 

1. Does the intellisense works sometimes of it never works?  -->> It never worked.

2. Is your SQL Server installed on the same machine as your SSMS? -->> No, SQL server installed not installed on same machine, i am connecting remotely from my Win10 machine using SQL authentication.

Hi,

>> Am using SSMS 2018 version.

Again, there is no product named "SSMS 2018 version"! the names of the SSMS versions does not fit the years! The current version of SSMS in the years 2019 is SSMS 18.0

Version Information

• Release number: 18.0 (GA)
    • Build number: 15.0.18118.0
    • Release date: April 24, 2019

>> No, SQL server installed not installed on same machine, i am connecting remotely from my Win10 machine using SQL authentication.

This might be the reason. This is very common case that Intellisense does not work well when you connect to remote server, since intellisense related to sending queries and executing queries on-the-fly behind the scenes. If the network is not well the intellisense might be blocked.

You should first confirm that this is not the case. If you have option to connect locally or to server which is near your machine in order to eliminate network latency, then please try to check this. 

signature   Ronen Ariely

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Alright, will use the name as SSMS 18.0 version.. 

I tried locally on the DB server as well, i does not work there either... so the issue of network is ruled out..!!

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:26 PM
  • If we only could swap SSMS installations!

My problem in SSMS 18 is that even if I turn off intellisense under Tools->Options, every new window I open has this nonsense enabled! I can turn if off for the window and it stsya off, but it still a nuisance.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi Tushar_SCCM,

Would you please confirm that you have checked the two options in the screenshot below:

Would you please refer to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31580885/intellisense-is-not-working-in-sql-server-management-studio?

If it doesn't work, I recommend you use ssms17.9.1. Here is the download link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/release-notes-ssms?view=sql-server-2017#download-ssms-1791

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Alright, will use the name as SSMS 18.0 version.. 

I tried locally on the DB server as well, i does not work there either... so the issue of network is ruled out..!!

Hi Tushar,

Can you please try using Azure Data Studio (you can download the zip file and use it without any installation). Confirm if the Intellisense works for you in this application. In fact, you might want to use it instead of SSSM for all your daily work (IMO it is much better application).

>> Download and install - Azure Data Studio | Microsoft Docs
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/azure-data-studio/download?view=sql-server-2017

signature   Ronen Ariely

Thursday, May 30, 2019 4:16 AM
  • If we only could swap SSMS installations!

My problem in SSMS 18 is that even if I turn off intellisense under Tools->Options, every new window I open has this nonsense enabled! I can turn if off for the window and it stsya off, but it still a nuisance.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

My problem in SSMS 18 is that it is still exists as new version, and that Microsoft do not announce SSMS as deprecated and put all the effort and resources only on Azure Data Studio😃

signature   Ronen Ariely

Thursday, May 30, 2019 4:19 AM
  • I have a vague recollection of a similar problem. (It was a long time ago, so please note that I am just guessing/trying to remember, and not at all certain of this.) As I recall, the solution was to disconnect the query window (right-click), and when reconnecting making sure that the box for "Trust server certificate" is checked in the Options - Connection properties.

As I said, I'm not at all sure I remember this correctly and I also don't know why it would help, but i might be worth a shot.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Sven, It is considered as rude in most communities to propose your own response as answer, and blocking the OP from getting more responses which might fit him better. A lot if people see that a thread was proposed as answer and do not check it since they assume that this got answer.

By posting an answer we already know that you think that this is THE ANSWER, else why did you post this?!? as well any other person who post an answer! he is sure that he post THE ANSWER. The Idea of proposing an answer is to let someone else say that he also think that this is THE ANSWER. If each person that think his response is the answer will propose his own answer then all responses will be marked.

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Edited by pituachMVP Friday, May 31, 2019 12:43 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 12:42 AM