none
Best Practices/Guidelines for creating multiple Web Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can someone please suggest Best Practice/ Guidelines/ Advantages - Disadvantages of having MULTIPLE Web Applications v/s having SINGLE web application in the FARM

Best Practices/Guidelines/Advantages - Disadvantages can be from development as well as infrastructure point of view.

Any pointers/suggestions on this would help.

Thank you!!

• Edited by SharePointGuy003 Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:03 AM added additional description
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi SharePointGuy003

Some points from my end:

1. Each web application creates its own app pool which put extra resource requirement on web front end server. Although you can share same app pool between various web applications.

2. Having separate web applications can sometimes be required in order to create access segregation from auditing/security point of view.

3. You can use separate branding or custom solutions on each content web application. Normally the feature overlap between various web apps is 50% or more.

4. With multiple web apps, you get the option of configuring different authentication mechanism for each and you can also choose to selectively extend web application.

5. With multiple web apps, you can choose different throttling requirements/document upload size/outgoing email settings for each one.

6. Merging view from cross web application can be tedious. 

The choice I would say is highly subjective in nature.

Thanks
    Mohit

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the response.

Majority of the article are suggesting for single web application unless have major business constraint for going for multiple + using "Host Named Site Collections", however I would like to mention one IMPORTANT thing in my environment i am migrating from SharePoint 2010 and existing environment of SharePoint 2010 has 4 Web Applications.... thus will it be a good option of merging 4 web applications into one + the constraint of maintaining the urls [site collection url's] canot be achived with help of "Host Named Site Collections"...

any views on this??

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Hi 

Host named site collections requires proficiency in powershell else its a good option. Other than that, you need to plan to migrate the data to host named site collections. Do note that the path based site collections can be converted to host named site collections easily.

Thanks
    Mohit

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:00 PM