Master.DWT file will not apply to all web pages RRS feed

• Question

• I know this is simple but i cannot figure it out.

Using Expressions to maintain a few web sites of mine.

Made the updates for the new year and needed to change a date in the Master.dwt so that it would transfer/change on all the individual pages. (default.html)

Made the change in the Master.dwt file but the changes are not coming over to the default.html pages.

What am I missing here.

thanks

Bob

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:43 AM

All replies

• Make sure that EW is set to manage the site using hidden metadata.
    With the site open Site > Site Settings.

Then recalculate hyperlinks

That said, this has been an issue since DWTs were introduced back in the days of FrontPage.

The solution if recalculating hyperlinks doesn't work is to open the DWT, open the pages that are attached to the DWT make the change and then save the DWT.

This should update the pages connected to it.

Expression Web MVP

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Adding two more things: In your post in the wrong forum, you mentioned EW always opens on the last page you were editing. That's a setting you can change.  Tools -> Applications Settings, General tab.  Uncheck that option.  After you change that, you should always open EW, then open your local copy of the site using the menu.

And, if recalculating hyperlinks doesn't help, google for FPCleaner and use the version appropriate for your version of EW.  For example, this is the link for EW4:

http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew4.htm

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, January 6, 2016 3:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 3:05 PM
  • OK, it helped. Got all synced together now.

I used to have a pane on the left side of EW that when I opened a site, that it would list all the files/folders that were in that site (like Windows Explorer) then the pane to the left of that had my "Working Area" listed the info that was in any selected file from the left pane. It disappeared and I cant figure out how to get it back.

Bob

Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Now trying to Embed a Google Calendar into a web page. I have the coding. I have a split screen. I am pasting it in the "Code" section on top not the bottom section. Every time I go to save the page It asks to save "embed.html" and wont let me save the page. What have i missed?

Bob

Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Sorry, figured out what I was doing 5 min after I sent the last message. I know this is off topic but when using the EX canned templates, how can I password protect a set of pages?
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Password protecting pages requires you to set up some sort of authentication for your site. The only thing in EW that handles that is asp.net membership for an asp.net site.  If you are not coding an asp.net site, you need to find another scripting solution and code it yourself, or talk to your host and see if they have a way for you to password protect pages or folders, in your hosting panel.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Thursday, January 7, 2016 11:01 PM