none
Sql Server Configuration Manager - No protocols to configure under SQL Server Network Configuration

Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to configure SQL Server Network Configuration in Sql Server Configuration Manager. I need to enable TCP/IP in Sql Server Network Configuration because a web app on a different server (different machine) needs to connect to the SQL Server.

I have done lots of searching but no solutions in previous posts have worked for me so far.

I am using SQLServerManager11.msc with Sql Server 2012.

Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing:

I have looked in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033 to make sure that there's a file called sqlcm.xml

I have also looked in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Shared to make sure there's a file sqlmgmprovider.dll

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:31 PM

All replies

• Did you happened to read below link, it has details of what needs to be done. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/lesson-2-connecting-from-another-computer?view=sql-server-2017

Let me know if that does not works for you, also let me know what error you are getting when you are trying to connect from other computer

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, February 11, 2019 5:58 PM
  • It doesn't work, I cannot complete the steps because no protocols are there for me to enable, disable in the first place..

For connection error:

In Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, in the Object Explorer, when I create a login using the following steps:

Under Security, right click "Login" > New Login > choose SQL Server authentication > type login and pw > uncheck User must change password at next login > select the desired database > User Mapping > select database under "Users mapped to this login" > check db_datareader under "Database role membership"

<?php

$serverName = '172.20.13.37';

$connectionInfo = array('Database'=>'testdb', 'UID'=>'username', 'PWD'=>'userpass');

$conn = sqlsrv_connect($serverName, $connectionInfo);
    if ($con){
        echo 'Connection established';
    }else{
        echo 'Connection failed<br>';
        die(print_r(sqlsrv_errors(), True));
    }

?>

All this PHP prints is:

"Connection failed"

• Edited by scMarth Monday, February 11, 2019 6:20 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 6:19 PM
  • And what do you see in the node SQL Server Services? My interpretation of that screenshot is that there are no SQL Server instances installed on this machine.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:45 PM
  • It says "The server threw an exception [0x80010105]"

Interesting. I have not noticed that before. I will try to look into that. I am new to Microsoft SQL Server so sorry if I miss anything obvious!

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:57 PM
  • Hi scMarth,

Have you used the administrator account to run the SQLServerManager11.msc? You can try to run it as administrator.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:10 AM
  • Sounds like it could be a WMI problem. Unfortunately, WMI is nothing I know much about. I'm an SQL Server guy and that is Windows.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:07 PM
  • Thanks for the replies guys,

Teige Gao, when I try to run it in administrator I see the same thing.

Erland, thanks I will look into WMI.

It's strange. My php web app can't access the SQL Server without enabling TCP/IP but some Microsoft programs like Microsoft Access can still connect to the SQL Server databases.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:16 PM
  • Some programs like Access can use Named pipes to connect to the database, 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Some programs like Access can use Named pipes to connect to the database, 

MSDN Community Support

Thanks for the info, that's good to note.
    Friday, February 15, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi scMarth,

Have you checked the WMI as mentioned by Erland?

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:43 AM
  • I am looking into WMI but I don't have experience with WMI at all. I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly what I should look for so it could take a while.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:05 PM