none
ANOTHER question per the size and depth of Net Framework! RRS feed

• Question

• I realize there are many answers but they are all dated in 2009 ... I did not see a current reply and since I have such a build up of Net Frameworks (I can not believe since my last complaint that 2 versions of 4 installed! I do not trust Microsoft Update any longer that it has to fill up my computer with all of this stuff and I know I do no extensive programming .. believe me I would like to .. because then I could understand why 600+ MB of space has to be allotted towards all of these updates.) My computer has so significantly slowed down .. I have so little space now for anything to move around in. Add in an extra 100 MB that just wanting the Word Viewer!, has downloaded into my computer per all of its packs and security updates and one truly gets tired of Microsoft software and the required security. Other than buying a MAC where do you suggest I go to have someone really look at all of this and tell me what I can remove:

Microsoft Net Framework 1.1                                    43 MB
     2 Net Framework 1.1 Security Updates
    Micro Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2                   183 MB
     15 Updates to it including Net Framework 1 and 2
    MIcro Net Framework 3.0  
     Hotfix                                                                  Does not give the MB
    Micro Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2                       224 MB
     13 updates including something called WCF
    Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SP1                                 28 MB
     4 updates
    Microsoft Net Framework 4 Client Profile                        120 MB
    Microsoft Net Framework 4 Extended                              38 MB
     1 security Update

Micro Sync Framework Runtime Native v 1.0        4 MB
    Micro Sync Framework Services Native v.1.0         2 MB
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable          5 MB
    Micro Visual C++ 2008 ATL update                    .15 MB
    Micro Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable               10 MB

Something called Workflow version 3.0 and 3.5

Sarah Cluster
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm sorry you're frustrated by this, but I'd like to clarify a few things with you.

What version of Windows are you using? How big is the herd drive on your system?

You appear to have three full frameworks installed. v1.1,  v2.0/3.0/3.5 (all ONE framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0, not standalone frameworks), and v4.0.

You don't have two versions of 4.0 installed, you have the Client Profile and the extensions which add up to the full .NET Framework 4.0.

.NET Framework(s) are needed to provide the managed environment in which many Windows software applications must run, so if they are removed, applications that need them will stop working.

How did .NET Framework 4.0 get installed on your computer? Was it installed as part of a software installation, or did you choose to install it yourself? If you are concerned about automatic updates, you can control the behavior to notify you of updates, then allow you to choose which updates will actually be installed. As far as I know, no new .NET Framework has ever come through Windows Update as a "critical update".

If you are sure that .NET Framework 4.0 was not installed as part of a new software installation, you can probably remove it safely. As for the other two frameworks (1.1 and 2.0/3.0/3.5), I would advise that you leave them alone to avoid issues with software you use every day.

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I appreciate your answer ... although it is not helpful. I suspect that I do not use applications every day that require me to have all of that. I have Windows XP SP3 and at one time I had 38 Gigs of space but now only have barely 11. There is absolutely NO WAY that I chose to download and install Net 4 on my machine ... so it came in with something that I chose (obviously from Microsoft that always is something that I think will help me to understand programming so that I can somehow excise myself from so many of these program!) I will check my Windows Update but I only do it customized and yes I go along with what they say is critical always. I know that for months and months and months a year ago .. when SP3 was generated .. I had taken off some NET program prior to that .. hoping to eliminate STUFF taking up space (because I knew SP3) would be just more ... and I could not get my computer to work for all of that time. It is taking license with one's system to say they need these Net updates and if you are not expert in so many ways you have to just accept. Yes I have to get a new computer but this is not THAT old and it was functioning so much faster and expertly when it was down to having only half of the drive filled up and I have gone thru and All of the stuff that takes up so much space is all from Windows and Microsoft.

Thank you for your reply .. I guess.

Sarah Cluster Windows XP SP3 Home Edition Version 2002 1.98 GB of RAM 27 Gigs used space 11 Gigs free When it was more half and half it moved significantly faster.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi Sarah Cluster,

Does the 38G hard disk space is your system partition space?

Also, have you tried to use the Disk Cleanup tool(Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Cleanup) to clean your system before?
    If not, I would recommand you to run this tool  delete some temporary files/clip files.

Since your question is about the Windows XP Maintenance, you can consider post your question about get more free space in system partition at Windows Xp forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance?page=1&tab=all

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:49 AM
  • As Andrew suggested, you might try asking in the Windows XP forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp

about safe ways to recover disc space.

Another fairly inexpensive option is a larger hard drive for your computer. You indicate in your signature that you have a 40 GB hard drive. Much larger (500 GB and up) are available at very reasonable prices.

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:31 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Sunday, April 3, 2011 1:46 PM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Andrew I appreciate your answer ... I did find out also from norton right now (as they just downloaded into my machine an update to Norton 360 that seemed like it probably stuffed my computer on the final last bytes of space) that I could at least delete old virus definition files ... so I will try that ..

Oh yes I use the disk cleanup tool every other day .. and the Registry Mechanic clean up tool ... I try everything ... I just have to learn programming and installation of programs and try and find out whether I need all of these Net Framework installs ...

System partition space?  Well that is interesting .. it does always say I have two computers so I guess it is divided into two ...

Thank you once again ... I realize I wine quite a bit lately.

Sarah Cluster Windows XP SP3 Home Edition Version 2002 1.98 GB of RAM 27 Gigs used space 11 Gigs free When it was more half and half it moved significantly faster.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Yes you are quite right about a hard drive ... yes and the latest Windows 7 sounds easier .. perhaps not so many Net Frameworks .. would be nice

thank you for the forum link

thank you again

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:12 AM