Creating New WM Apps.... RRS feed

• Question

• Before I get too far into this can someone please tell me if theres any preference between writing programs in VB or C++?  I have Visual Studio 2008 and would prefer to write in VB.  My intention is to write apps and deploy via the mobile marketplace.

Also Does the format have to be .CAB???

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:44 PM

Answers

• It has to be in a cab.

And I would suggest C#. C++ isn't available to application developers on Winodws Phone 7 Series (so using it effectivly will make porting your app to WP7S a total rewrite). VB.Net will eventually be supported on WP7S but it isn't yet. Even if it were you'll find a much larger body of people willing to help you with tasks in C# than in VB.Net.

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Diston Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:53 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• It has to be in a cab.

And I would suggest C#. C++ isn't available to application developers on Winodws Phone 7 Series (so using it effectivly will make porting your app to WP7S a total rewrite). VB.Net will eventually be supported on WP7S but it isn't yet. Even if it were you'll find a much larger body of people willing to help you with tasks in C# than in VB.Net.

It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Diston Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:53 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  So tell me this.... I'm quite new to Visual Studio.  Everything I build creates a .exe

Whats the method to making the .cab file?  Just compress your program file?

Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:23 PM
  • http://j2i.net/BlogEngine/?tag=/Deployment
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:07 PM