none
The actual online renderings of the pages I've created in Expression and published through my host are not very similar....am I missing a vital step? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently I'm using Microsoft Expression Web 4 Professional, and I've published a few pages through the publishing panel in Microsoft Expression (Site View,...Publishing,.....Connection...etc)  and via my hosting provider. I know that some of this process has worked because when I use my browser to enter my website name and the extension of the file I created, there is a page that actually renders online, but so far none of my pages has come even close to being identical to what I created in Expression. A couple of primary problems are that no visual images or audio/video content has transferred, even though testing them through Microsoft Expression using the F12 short cut and through Super Preview rendered pretty identical pages to what I created. 

Should I be getting mad at my hosting provider for using a worthless server, or is there something I'm not doing correctly in the publishing process within Microsoft Expression?

Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:20 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you aren't publishing all the files (images, CSS, etc.), or you aren't publishing them to the same directory on the server. Check both panes when publishing to make sure that everything on the remote server (right pane) matches the structure on your local machine (left pane). Beyond that, post a link to the site so that people here can give more specific advice.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I think you might be on the right track, but it hasn't worked for me yet.

Here are a couple links to some practice pages I've been working on and published through the host server by using the Microsoft Expression publishing tool.

http://www.yosauce.com/flashGallery.html

http://www.yosauce.com/phpContact.php

Any thoughts? I wish I could provide an attachment of what the pages have been looking like in Microsoft Expression, Super Preview, etc.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Your site is looking for its resources back on your hard drive, not on the server...

My%20Web%20Sites/MyKipple/kippleStyles.css
    ../Documents/My%20Web%20Sites/MyKipple/kippleStyles.css
    ../Documents/My%20Web%20Sites/MyKipple/Gallery/flash/flashGallery.swf

And obviously, it can't access your hard drive. Also, you have used spaces in your file and folder names (the %20), which can also cause problems.

Looks like you haven't checked Manage Site Using Metadata.

And I have no idea what's going on here...
    data="DATA:application/x-oleobject;BASE64, 㡴䕵䙒
    ??䅑䝁噤??䅕??䅁䉲䅑䭁啷䅁䥁䅁䅉䅁䅁䅁䅧䅙䅁䄊㑃䱁䅧...and on and on...

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out! We don't serve your type."

Saturday, February 4, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Resources hard coded as being on your hard drive are generally caused by not working within a defined local site with metadata on, or pasting/editing such hard coded paths in yourself.

But obviously, web visitors can't see resources on your hard drive.  Make sure you open a site on your harddrive in EW before you start working on individual files, make sure site settings have metadata on, and fix the broken links.  If "kippleStyles.css" is in the root of your site, the link should be "kippleStyles.css" on a page in your root, and "../kippleStyles.css" on a page one folder under the root, and so on.  EW manages these things for you if you start out correctly.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:27 PM