Best Way to Upgrade Using Web Setup Project RRS feed

• Question

• User1629321808 posted

Hi there,

I am using VS2005.

I don't have much experience with web setup projects, but I now need to create a decent windows installer in order to allow customers to install one of our web applications. I have created a simple web setup project and it works fine, but not when it comes to upgrades of the application.

If for instance I install version 1.0 on a machine, and then later I try to install version 2.0, I don't seem to have the control that I would like... I can specify in the web setup project that the installer must enforce an uninstall of previous version, but then all application files and logs are uninstalled as well. If I let the application just install itself over the older version, it seems to leave some old DLL's there - it then causes issues in the application because DLL version conflicts.

My basic requirement is that I would like th installer to upgrade the old version with all the files required, but leave any application and log files in tact - this way the customer won't have to reconfigure the application after install.

What is the best way to handle this?

Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:41 PM

Answers