none
FM20.DLL not registering (Error Code 0x80040151) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. If this is the case I'd appreciate it if someone could suggest a better place to ask this question.

I'm trying to register a FM20.DLL file on a 64bit Windows 7 Professional OS with only an industrial software package installed (ie, no Microsoft Office, only default programs that come with Windows 7). I moved it to my SysWOW64 folder and ran the command regsvr32. However I get the following error message:

The module FM20.DLL was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040151

It then told me to look online for the solution but I've been unable to find any answers (or even other people questioning the error code). 

One of my searches yielded that it was a 'REGDB_E_WRITEREGDB' error meaning that I 'could not write that key to a registry'. I honestly have no idea how to resolve that, I've never addressed an issue like this before.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'd appreciate any insight you could offer.

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• I believe I found the solution. Some notes have been making it a point to execute the regsvr32 command as an administrator. I thought I was following that by being logged in as a user set as an administrator but it was not registering the file. 

What finally worked was right clicking cmd, selecting 'run as administer' and running the command. 

Thanks for your assistance. 

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:15 PM

All replies

• When you install Microsoft Office, FM20.dll should be installed along with it.  See support.microsoft.com/kb/224305.

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Thank you for the response. 

The industrial software I installed also installed an FM20.dll file, albeit not the version I need. I've got a file developed from one computer that I need to open on the computer I mentioned and the file versions need to match for certain objects to appear properly. I was under the impression that I could replace the FM20.dll file with the proper version, register it, and be done. 

I was able to simply replace and register the file on a laptop with various software packages already installed but I'm unable to do the same for this new computer with only that one industrial software package. 

Do any programs have to be installed for this to register properly?

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Hi Boomtownblues,

I found a possible solution online,you can click Here.

Regrads,

buernuo

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:41 AM
  • I believe I found the solution. Some notes have been making it a point to execute the regsvr32 command as an administrator. I thought I was following that by being logged in as a user set as an administrator but it was not registering the file. 

What finally worked was right clicking cmd, selecting 'run as administer' and running the command. 

Thanks for your assistance. 

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing your solution  here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Have a nice day!

Damon

Damon Bu - MSFT
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Copay FM20.dll  & FM20ENU.dll TO THE system32 folder
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:44 AM
  • hi please go to control panel system administrator tool windows power shell module then use regsvr32 and reg the fm20.dll
    Friday, February 6, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Thank you BoomTownBlues and Nadee1977.

I am now able to compile a legacy VB app on a 64 bit Windows 2012 machine.

The ActiveX Control Pad will not install on a 64 bit machine.  Solution was to copy fm20.dll & fm20enu.dll from a 32 bit machine (windows\system32) to your 64 bit machine (windows\sysWow64) and run regsvr32 as administrator on fm20.dll.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:12 PM
  • Thank you so much
    Sunday, September 2, 2018 7:55 AM