none
Help Library Manager and localized Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Does the HelpLibaryManager support the installation of an EN Help into localized versions of Visual Studio 2010? I want the EN Help to be available from F1.

i have an English MSHC in a signed cabinet for a silent install. The HelpContentSetup.MSHA contains a setting for the EN locale. I use a .bat file to invoke HelpLibraryManager which has /locale en-us.

How can I configure things so that the installer can install the EN into a localized VS 2010 without having the .msha and .bat file contain a hard coded locale settings?

Thanks,

Dianne

• Moved by Forrest GuoModerator Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:43 PM forums restructure (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Dianne,

HV 1.1 should allow for en-us content as well as localized content.  The behavior is that for any language HV 1.1 will show that content along with the en-us content. 

You should be able to run your above install command.  If a user has a non en-us VS the help will still be present in the content store and if it is the best match for F1 it will be shown. 

I haven't been able to try all scenarios around this recently so it is possible I am misremembering something, are you running into an issue doing this?

- Jason

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:00 PM

All replies

• Installation is easy enough. HV2 supports many locales.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh496811.aspx

You would run C:\Program Files\Microsoft Help Viewer\v2.0\HlpCtntMgr.exe

HlpCtntMgr.exe /operation install /catalogName VisualStudio11
        /locale en-US /sourceUri <path to .msha>

Now for non-En VS 2010 F1 to show the English help....

The Help Viewer can only display help that are registered in the registry. If you renamed the older locale xx-xx and added English as en-US it should work. The English reg location would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Help\v2.0\Catalogs\VisualStudio11\en-US

See how you get on.

Rob

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

We are still on VS 2010 using HV 1.1. Does this mean to do what I want, I need 2.0?

Dianne

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Hi Dianne,

HV 1.1 should allow for en-us content as well as localized content.  The behavior is that for any language HV 1.1 will show that content along with the en-us content. 

You should be able to run your above install command.  If a user has a non en-us VS the help will still be present in the content store and if it is the best match for F1 it will be shown. 

I haven't been able to try all scenarios around this recently so it is possible I am misremembering something, are you running into an issue doing this?

- Jason

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Sorry Dianne. I assumed 2012 but you clearly said 2010 (doing that a lot lately ;-().

Leave you in Jason's capable hands

I guess what you are asking, is... is there a switch that can tell VS to favour locale xx-xx over the default locale help. That I don't know. But Jason is very tricky he might :-)

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:33 AM