VSIX - Backward Compatibility Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to develop a VSIX on VS 2012. I have a couple of queries regarding the same.

1. How do I make it compatible with VS 2010 too? I have tried using a separate InstallationTarget for version 10.0 with no effect. I know an alternate way is to create the extension with VS 2010 & make it compatible with VS 2012. But I'm curious if vice versa is possible or not.

2. Would it be better to have 2 extensions each targeted at a different version of VS?

Thanks & Regards,

Sitesh

• Edited by Sitesh Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

• Microsoft does not officially support targeting a version of VS other than the one in which the extension was built. You can probably hack something up as people have suggested, but generally you are going to need to use the lowest version of VS that you want to target (to prevent adding references to the wrong CLR version of assemblies, ones that one exist down level).
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Monday, July 22, 2013 5:50 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to build your extension using VS 2010 and the VS 2010 SDK to support both VS10 and VS11. In your VSIXManifest, you should add the following under <Installation>:

<InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="[10.0-11.0]" />

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Shouldn't he be able to just use the VS2010 toolchain from within VS2012 to do the same thing?
    Friday, July 5, 2013 9:34 PM
  • Hi Ego, 

Thank you for the information. I actually have tried using the same configuration entry you mentioned albeit on VS2012 (VS 2012 SDK). And it does not work.

Moreover, I want to know if it is at all possible to create an extension on VS 2012 that is compatible with VS 2010.

Regards,

Sitesh

Thanks & Regards, Sitesh

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi Dylan,

I was not sure what exactly you meant. Could you please explain ?

Regards,

Sitesh

Thanks & Regards, Sitesh

Monday, July 8, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Microsoft does not officially support targeting a version of VS other than the one in which the extension was built. You can probably hack something up as people have suggested, but generally you are going to need to use the lowest version of VS that you want to target (to prevent adding references to the wrong CLR version of assemblies, ones that one exist down level).
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Monday, July 22, 2013 5:50 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Thank Ryan & thank you all for information provided.

Thanks & Regards, Sitesh

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:30 PM