Trouble updating memo field RRS feed

• Question

• I just changed a field from Text to Memo.  I have forms based on my table, and am having trouble trying to update this field via the forms.  

The forms accurately display my records, and allow me to type in new data into the form.  However, once I tab over to the next field on my form, the additional data I've added disappears.

I'm familiar with locked fields and have used them elsewhere in my DB, I'm very confused that I can enter new text, and that it disappears.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:10 PM

Answers

• Just solved the problem.  I removed the "@"'s from the format property of the form itself.

Thank you for your help!!

• Proposed as answer by accessbob-pdx Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:19 PM

All replies

• Interestingly, it appears that any change I made do show up in the underlying table, only the field on the form remains the same.

can anyone enlighten me about this strange phenomenon?  Even on closing and reopening the DB, my form is still displaying the old information.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Try updating the control source for that field on your form, then run compact and repair.

Updating is just reselecting the same source.

And save the form when you are done.

Chris Ward
    • Edited by KCDW Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:54 PM
  • I just did this now.  Still have the problem.  Interestingly I have a Memo field right above that appears to not have this problem.

Okay, I maybe just had some insight.  The record I was testing just happened to be exactly 254 characters long.  If I change the "." at the end of the last sentence to a "!" this change is made, but any additions beyond 255 appear to be not showing up.  Can anyone advise how to resolve this?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:02 PM
  • I just changed a field from Text to Memo.  I have forms based on my table, and am having trouble trying to update this field via the forms.  

The forms accurately display my records, and allow me to type in new data into the form.  However, once I tab over to the next field on my form, the additional data I've added disappears.

I'm familiar with locked fields and have used them elsewhere in my DB, I'm very confused that I can enter new text, and that it disappears.

Possibly it has to do with the properties of the text boxes you are using to display and edit the field.  A text box bound to a memo field usually has properties set as follows:

Enter Key Behavior : New Line In Field
        Scroll Bars : Vertical

... while a text box bound to a text field usually has properties set as follows:

Enter Key Behavior : Default
         Scroll Bars : None

Conceivably, those differences may be deceiving you as to what is actually in the field when you edit it on the form.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Just solved the problem.  I removed the "@"'s from the format property of the form itself.

Thank you for your help!!

• Proposed as answer by accessbob-pdx Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:19 PM

Ah.  Yes, the application of a Format property will truncate the displayed data to the 255-character capacity of a text field.  I didn't think of that.  Well spotted!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Interestingly, it appears that any change I made do show up in the underlying table, only the field on the form remains the same.

Hi w85,

If you go to the memo control on the form, and you step with the cursor through the text (right arrow), can you then see the complete contents of the field?

Imb.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Okay, I need more education here. Where is this "@"'s format for the form's property sheet. I don't see it anywhere.
    Chris Ward
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Okay, I need more education here. Where is this "@"'s format for the form's property sheet. I don't see it anywhere.

Presumably w85 is talking about the Format property of the text box, not the form itself.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:37 PM