IP address range of Microsoft Location Services API

Question

• Hi,

I am developing a LOB windows 8.1 application. The windows 8 tablet device we are using needs to be locked down by IP address to the specific services that the application will use. I have not been able to find the IP address range for the Microsoft Location Sevices API uses (Windows.Devices.Geolocation namespace).

Does someone know where on the MS website this sort of information is held as I can't seem to find this information anywhere?

Thanks

Monday, April 13, 2015 12:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I am developing a LOB windows 8.1 application. The windows 8 tablet device we are using needs to be locked down by IP address to the specific services that the application will use. I have not been able to find the IP address range for the Microsoft Location Sevices API uses.

For details of the API I am referring to see this link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.geolocation.aspx

Does someone know where on the MS website this sort of information is held as I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks

www.codealive.co.uk

Monday, April 13, 2015 11:42 AM
  • Hi Both,

I merge the question since you are asking the same.

Personally I think we can use some third party service to find the location by IP address, I cannot find any related documentations on MSDN site.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Thanks for that James,

I posted the question a second time as I used my non-MSDN subscription account to post the first question.

The problem is that the location services API works brilliantly on a tablet which isn't tied down by IP address. I have managed to check the firewall logs to find out what IP addresses are blocked but it seems that there are a whole lot of addresses that are also used. I have unblocked a few of them but the location services are only working intermittently. Someone must have the definitive list of IP addresses. 

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Probably you can find more information from here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd464636(v=vs.85).aspx

As I understand system have a location service and when the app calls the service, the service query the location automatically.

If you still have questions about location service, perhaps ask at desktop forum is a better choice: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:07 AM