none
Project Server 2010 - Enterprise Custom Field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have two rather elegant (for me) task level custom fields in my projects that roll up a summary value. I published them as task enterprise fields. I worked around the peculiarity of custom fields and they show beautifully

Peculiarity example:
    Create custom field  - EV Hours using Number20 field. The field name is [Number20] but name is EV Hours. Publish to enterprise - Field name is now [EV Hours (Number20)]. I can cope with this and adjust formual calculations inside custome field accordingly.

I then want to look at these in PWA at the project level.

Once I created these as project custom fields (re-opened and re-published the project) one shows up giving me exactly what I expect and the other is blank. I am completely stumped!

All I want it to do is to give me the summary data from the project and show it in a PWA field.

Please see shots below and any help gratefully appreciated :-)

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:15 AM

Answers

• Naweed - Thank you :-) You didn't quite answer it but you pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

Solution: When you go to republish make sure you show all the involved fields (in my case make sure I show the Baseline field). It appears MSPS only recalculates what it can see.

Once I made the columns visible and then republished everything worked as expected. Now that I know this it will make my like easier going forward.

Again - Thank you for your help

• Marked as answer by Hugh Rising Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

• Monday, November 19, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Is the Baseline work rolling up to Project Level in your project plan? I can see you are using Baseline Work in your formula and I assume that for EV Hours(Number 20) is getting calcuated properly as the baseline would exist in task level.

Just a though.

Regards, Naweed

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Is there some reason you created the Project level custom field as Text rather than Number? It's usually a good idea to keep the data formats the same.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Naweed - Thank you :-) You didn't quite answer it but you pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

Solution: When you go to republish make sure you show all the involved fields (in my case make sure I show the Baseline field). It appears MSPS only recalculates what it can see.

Once I made the columns visible and then republished everything worked as expected. Now that I know this it will make my like easier going forward.

Again - Thank you for your help

• Marked as answer by Hugh Rising Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Thanks Treb - Got the solution but teh reason I made it text was I wanted to add text to the end of the result. In MSPS you cannot add text to the end of a formula unless you use a text field so I calculated it at nyumber and then used a formula to make it text. The reason it wasnt all text to start with is the formula calculates the summary incorrectly and although I probably could have found a way to get it to summarise correctly i tool the path of least resistance.

Cheers

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM