none
Project Server 2010 - Enterprise Custom Field RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I have two rather elegant (for me) task level custom fields in my projects that roll up a summary value. I published them as task enterprise fields. I worked around the peculiarity of custom fields and they show beautifully

    Peculiarity example:
    Create custom field  - EV Hours using Number20 field. The field name is [Number20] but name is EV Hours. Publish to enterprise - Field name is now [EV Hours (Number20)]. I can cope with this and adjust formual calculations inside custome field accordingly.

    I then want to look at these in PWA at the project level.

    Once I created these as project custom fields (re-opened and re-published the project) one shows up giving me exactly what I expect and the other is blank. I am completely stumped!

    All I want it to do is to give me the summary data from the project and show it in a PWA field.

    Please see shots below and any help gratefully appreciated :-)

    Monday, November 19, 2012 6:15 AM

Answers

  • Naweed - Thank you :-) You didn't quite answer it but you pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

    Solution: When you go to republish make sure you show all the involved fields (in my case make sure I show the Baseline field). It appears MSPS only recalculates what it can see.

    Once I made the columns visible and then republished everything worked as expected. Now that I know this it will make my like easier going forward.

    Again - Thank you for your help

    • Marked as answer by Hugh Rising Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

  • Monday, November 19, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

    Is the Baseline work rolling up to Project Level in your project plan? I can see you are using Baseline Work in your formula and I assume that for EV Hours(Number 20) is getting calcuated properly as the baseline would exist in task level.

    Just a though.


    Regards, Naweed

    Monday, November 19, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Is there some reason you created the Project level custom field as Text rather than Number? It's usually a good idea to keep the data formats the same.

    Treb Gatte | @tgatte | http://AboutMSProject.com

    Monday, November 19, 2012 7:53 PM
    Moderator
  • Naweed - Thank you :-) You didn't quite answer it but you pointed me in the direction I needed to go.

    Solution: When you go to republish make sure you show all the involved fields (in my case make sure I show the Baseline field). It appears MSPS only recalculates what it can see.

    Once I made the columns visible and then republished everything worked as expected. Now that I know this it will make my like easier going forward.

    Again - Thank you for your help

    • Marked as answer by Hugh Rising Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Thanks Treb - Got the solution but teh reason I made it text was I wanted to add text to the end of the result. In MSPS you cannot add text to the end of a formula unless you use a text field so I calculated it at nyumber and then used a formula to make it text. The reason it wasnt all text to start with is the formula calculates the summary incorrectly and although I probably could have found a way to get it to summarise correctly i tool the path of least resistance.

    Cheers

    Monday, November 19, 2012 9:01 PM