none
Unable to log in with guest user in Azure Active Directory

Question

• Hi,

I am getting this error AADSTS50020: User account 'xxx' from identity provider 'https://sts.windows.net/xxx/' does not exist in tenant 'xxx' and cannot access the application 'xxx' in that tenant.  The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first.  Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account.

I have added user in microsoft active directory as an guest user. When I try to login with this guest account I got the above mentioned error. Can anyone let me know why I am facing this issue. It was working fine a day earlier. 

Have Microsoft changed any policy for guest user?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Team,

I am getting this error AADSTS50020: User account 'xxx' from identity provider 'https://sts.windows.net/xxx/' does not exist in tenant 'xxx' and cannot access the application 'xxx' in that tenant.  The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first.  Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account.

I have added user in microsoft active directory as an external user. When I try to login with this external account I got the above mentioned error. Can anyone let me know why I am facing this issue. It was working fine a day earlier. 

Have Microsoft changed any policy for external user?

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Have you checked the External User Settings in your Azure AD Tenant ?
    The Guest User Limitation setting should be set to NO.
    You may check this setting from either Azure Portal or the Management Portal.

Azure Portal:
    - In your Azure AD Tenant, go to the User Settings
    - Under External Users, Guest users permissions are limited should be set to NO

Management Portal:
    - In your Azure AD Tenant, go to the Configure Tab on the top.
    - Under the User Access section, Limit Guest Access should be set to NO

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:02 AM
  • I changed the setting from Yes to No, but I still get the same error ( The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first)

How can I solve this?

Thanks,

Ron

Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:08 PM
  • I changed the setting from Yes to No, but I still get the same error ( The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first)

Remove the said account and re-add the Guest Account to the tenant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" or "Up-Vote" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, April 9, 2018 11:05 AM
  • I am having the same issue. Followed the steps outlined in this thread but no difference.

I also have other users created as guests in the past and no problem signing in.
    • Edited by Dmitri Mez Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:53 PM added details
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:48 PM