none
Why is network adapter driver re-installing on some boots? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a WES7 image where the network adapter gets re-installed on some boots, but not all.  And sometimes the reinstall seems to fail and the system has no network connectivity.

The first question I have is why does the network adapter get re-installed so often?  Does anyone know why / when Windows decides to re-install the driver?  Does it have anything to do with what's physically connected to the network adapter on the device?

The image has EWF, but I've seen this case even with EWF disabled.  The system has two network adapters, an Intel 82574L (active) and a EG20T adapter that has been disabled and is not used.

Any information or links regarding to how Windows handles the network device driver installation will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Monday, May 13, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• Are you seeing this on one system or multiple systems? If one system, it could be a bad network card. If multiple systems, make sure you are using the latest network driver.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:23 PM
  • It happens on all our systems.  I'll check into the driver - the image is currently using the built-in Microsoft driver.

Do you know what triggers Windows to decide to re-install the driver?  There must be some check that Windows performs on startup to decide whether it detected a hardware change, which in turn triggers the re-installation of the driver.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Plug and Play services is what detects changes. If you disable it, you an see if the problem continues and if the driver loads correctly.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:43 PM