Testing Tool of Microsoft Team foundation server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Please tell me Which Testing Tool , microsoft team foundation server uses? Thanks
    Monday, September 11, 2006 5:51 PM

Answers

• Team Foundation server itself, doesn't use any testing tool, for testing you have to use Team System Developers edition for unit testing, or Team System Tester edition, for manual tests, load test, web tests and also unit testing.

If you refer which testing tools uses for the Team Builds, one of the previous versions must be installed (depending on the test runs you are going to run), in the build machine.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:13 AM
  • Hi:

Just to clarify internally within our TFS team we do use Team System Dev and Test for part of our testing efforts.

thanks, mario

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 5:33 PM

All replies

• Team Foundation server itself, doesn't use any testing tool, for testing you have to use Team System Developers edition for unit testing, or Team System Tester edition, for manual tests, load test, web tests and also unit testing.

If you refer which testing tools uses for the Team Builds, one of the previous versions must be installed (depending on the test runs you are going to run), in the build machine.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 11:13 AM
  • Hi:

Just to clarify internally within our TFS team we do use Team System Dev and Test for part of our testing efforts.

thanks, mario

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 5:33 PM
  • If you are asking about third party testing tools there are a number that can integrate into VSTS/TFS. The Mercury tools for instance apparently integrate well and Test Complete integrates but I can't recall to what extent on Test Complete. Though I have not looked in a while I imagine some open source tools either do or well underway to be tightly integrated. There are othr options I have no doubt.

As Mario mentions I have found I like the built in test tools in Team System Tester Edition but have found to meet all my testing needs even in  smoke test that I don't consider overly extensive on web stuff I ended up with a combination of test tools both Microsofts and third party because I could not test all I needed via the tools in Tester Edition.

I can't profess to be privy to where the priority of extending the testing tool functonality falls in the grand scheme. I wish I did. I guess I could ask!  As you can see the primary players at Microsoft are highly active, responsive and open to input and response.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:20 PM