Remote desktop with saved credentials cannot connect. Domain name ignored?

Question

• Hi,

on a laptop that is not a member of any domain I created a user with the name Username. I connect to a vpn that has the same Username defined in a domain. I allow remote desktop to save the credentials. So far so good. When I close the session and reopen it the connection with my saved credentials fails. It seems like it is trying to authenticate by ignoring the previously entered domain name. When I enter the domain\user combination again (also saving the credentials) I can connect but the next time remote desktop is used the problem is there again. Hope this gets fixed.

Regards, Lorendin

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:46 AM

Answers

• hi there,

no, my workgroup username is diferent.

but that doesn't even come to it, as even if the username/password is the same in both computer (one in workgroup and the oter in domain) it would STILL be different user ID (system-wise). please do try to specify the credential to use more acurately in your connexion:

if PC1 has PC1\PierreL as user and is in a workgroup.

if PC2, has Domain\PierreD as a user and is in a domain.

if you want to connect to PC1 from PC2 you need to use the local Account of PC1\PierreL to connect from PC2.

if you want to connect to PC2 from PC1 you need to use domain account Domain\PierreD to connect from PC1.

it is just to illustrate the credential needed, it doen't matter if the username is the same, the account is still a different one (one local, the other domain)

hope i helped,

PierrE.

Http://www.redkaffe.com - Consultant/Formateur en region PACA
    • Marked as answer by Lorendin Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:58 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:00 AM

All replies

• hi there,

just launch 'credentials manager' to check the saved credentials...and correct it if necessary.

make sure also that you tick the box 'allow me to save credentials' in the MSTSC launcher, and also that the name of distant machine is exactly the same in credential manager (typically take the FQDN of the distant rig).

i'm in same config (win8 in Workgroup mode and accessing both win7/2008R2 rigs doesn't bring up any problem.

best regards,

Pierre.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:47 AM
  • hi there,

just launch 'credentials manager' to check the saved credentials...and correct it if necessary.

make sure also that you tick the box 'allow me to save credentials' in the MSTSC launcher, and also that the name of distant machine is exactly the same in credential manager (typically take the FQDN of the distant rig).

i'm in same config (win8 in Workgroup mode and accessing both win7/2008R2 rigs doesn't bring up any problem.

best regards,

Pierre.

Does the user in workgroup mode also exist with the same name in the domain to which you connect?
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:46 AM
  • hi there,

no, my workgroup username is diferent.

but that doesn't even come to it, as even if the username/password is the same in both computer (one in workgroup and the oter in domain) it would STILL be different user ID (system-wise). please do try to specify the credential to use more acurately in your connexion:

if PC1 has PC1\PierreL as user and is in a workgroup.

if PC2, has Domain\PierreD as a user and is in a domain.

if you want to connect to PC1 from PC2 you need to use the local Account of PC1\PierreL to connect from PC2.

if you want to connect to PC2 from PC1 you need to use domain account Domain\PierreD to connect from PC1.

it is just to illustrate the credential needed, it doen't matter if the username is the same, the account is still a different one (one local, the other domain)

hope i helped,

PierrE.

• Marked as answer by Lorendin Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:58 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Hi Pierre,

thanks for going into details about full user names. I know that syntax quite well. I could allways successfully connect to remote desktop when entering the redentials manually. So the user name was allways correct. Remote Desktop just did not remember it and the next time it proposed the local user name again. Today I tried it again but unforunately could not reproduce it. :/

Thanks though for your time.

Regards.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:58 AM