locked
ASP site generates: HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out. RRS feed

  • Question

  • User921007156 posted

    Hi All,

    I have a basic ASP.NET 4.0 site that just has two input fields, and runs a look up against a IBM Informix database. The site runs very quick and fast on my local 32 bit XP machine (returns data in secs) in VS 2010 using ASP Development Server Version: 4.0.30319.1022, without any issues.

    When I moved the site to the following IIS server. It was working fine for about 3months.

    Server: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64bit
    Build: Window Server 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
    IIS Version: 7.5.7600.16385

    Then just recently when I tried the site, it takes over 2mins then timeouts, not loading data into my Grid. I get the following error.

    Server Error in '/ReqTest' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Request timed out.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
    Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:
    [HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272


    Any idea why the site would work perfectly on my 32bit XP Pro Dev PC using ASP Development Server, but times-out on IIS all of sudden?

    My webconfig looks like the following

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
      For more information on how to configure your ASP.NET application, please visit
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169433
      -->
    <configuration>
    	<connectionStrings>
    		<add name="Prod" connectionString="Host=199.99.99.199;Service=1034;Server=ol_dypdb0001;Database=ct;DB_LOCALE=en_US.819;CLIENT_LOCALE=en_US.819;UID=******;Password=*********;"/>
    	</connectionStrings>
    	<system.web>
    		<customErrors mode="Off"/>
    		<compilation debug="false" targetFramework="4.0">
    			<assemblies>
    				<add assembly="System.Printing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    				<add assembly="IBM.Data.Informix, Version=2.81.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7C307B91AA13D208"/></assemblies></compilation>
    	</system.web>
    </configuration>
    

    Thanks,

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:34 AM

Answers

  • User921007156 posted

    Hi All,

    I was able to figure out my time out issue. The old ip address of the database server was embedded into the Informix Client software  registry, even when I had the correct ip address in my webconfig file of my website, the database client software, was still trying to access the old ip address. Once I changed the ip address in the registry, all started working normal. So it wasn't really a IIS issue, but a Informix Client software issue.

    Thanks for the help!

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:10 AM

All replies

  • User-718146471 posted

    I would try pinging the informix dynamic server from the web server to ensure you are able to access it.  Also, to a tracert 199.99.99.199 to find out if there are any breaks between the IIS server and your database server.

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:39 AM
  • User921007156 posted

    I just tried a ping, and tracert against my local pc and server, and the results are the same.

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:49 AM
  • User-718146471 posted

    Has anyone changed any firewall configurations either on the server or somewhere in between?

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:10 AM
  • User921007156 posted

    To my knowledge I dont think the firewall has change, but I'm going to check. I'm also going to write a little test application to see if it can connect and run a basic select statement against the database.

    Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:33 AM
  • User921007156 posted

    Hi All,

    I was able to figure out my time out issue. The old ip address of the database server was embedded into the Informix Client software  registry, even when I had the correct ip address in my webconfig file of my website, the database client software, was still trying to access the old ip address. Once I changed the ip address in the registry, all started working normal. So it wasn't really a IIS issue, but a Informix Client software issue.

    Thanks for the help!

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:10 AM