none
Developing Office 365 Add-in's crashes Outlook. RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently upgraded to office 365, we are trying to create a new add-in for outlook, however creating a default add-in using all default options in visual studio 2015, crashes outlook.
    Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new Project in Visual Studio 2015, of type "Outlook 2013 and 2016 VSTO Add-in".
    2. Right Click Project, Select Add, then New Item and select "Outlook Form Region"
    3. Select "Design a new form region", click next (this is the default option)
    4. Select a "Separate" Region as the type, click Next (this is the default option)
    5. Select the default suggested name.
    6. Select only Mail Message (IPM.Note) when asked which messages classes. (this is the default option)
    7. Build and Run Project.
    8. In Outlook create a new message,
    9. Add an attachment. (Adding the attachment causes the crash!)
    10. Click the button to show the form region.
    11. The Form region is shown, then outlook crashes.

Your help would be appreciated
     Glen.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Glen,

I am trying to reproduce this issue in Outlook 2013(Office 365 ProPlus), however failed. Which version of Outlook are you using?

I suggest that you try to repair or update the Office to see whether the issue was fixed. If you still have the issue would you sharing the error message in the event log in Event Viewer?

Regards &Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Glen,

I'd recommend leaving your feedback at https://officespdev.uservoice.com . I have already seen users with similar issues.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Eugene.

Glen

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:09 PM

• Hi Glen,

I am trying to reproduce this issue in Outlook 2013(Office 365 ProPlus), however failed. Which version of Outlook are you using?

I suggest that you try to repair or update the Office to see whether the issue was fixed. If you still have the issue would you sharing the error message in the event log in Event Viewer?

Regards &Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:16 AM
  • This is still an issue in Outlook 2016, repairing the installation wouldn't have helped Glen.
    You don't even have to actually ADD the attachment.
    I can replicate this error as follows 
    1. Repeat Glen's steps to create a form region if you do not already have one in a mail edit window.
    2. Create new mail.
    3. Click "Add attachment" button (you don't even have to add an attachment, either way, outlook will crash)
    4. Click in the form region.
    5. Watch Outlook Crash.

Here is an excerpt from the windows event viewer:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.7571.2109, time stamp: 0x586457f6
    Faulting module name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.7571.2109, time stamp: 0x586457f6
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000bb7ce3
    Faulting process id: 0x36a8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2fc86ae7a6cd8
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Report Id: 66c16a60-687a-11e7-b601-54ee75b3d86f
    If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

Friday, July 14, 2017 9:58 AM