How do you come up with Ideas? RRS feed

• Question

• There seems to be a lot of software ideas that have been successfully put into practice,  but how do you come up with the ideas.  The reason I ask is because many times you think of something that you want to implement only to disregard it because you say to yourself, its no point, someone else has already done it.  What are some thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Saied

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• That's down to market research which is probably not something that will get answered in here.

You have to keep asking yourself if you can do the thing that others are doing better, and then find out if the market agrees with that view through more research.

A good idea is no use if the market isn't ready for it.  On the other hand if the market is ready for something, and there is high demand for it, you can be one of many to provide such solutions.

I don't work in marketing, so I'd recommend that you ask the professionals for a proper answer,

Hope this helps,

Martin Platt.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:00 AM

All replies

• That's down to market research which is probably not something that will get answered in here.

You have to keep asking yourself if you can do the thing that others are doing better, and then find out if the market agrees with that view through more research.

A good idea is no use if the market isn't ready for it.  On the other hand if the market is ready for something, and there is high demand for it, you can be one of many to provide such solutions.

I don't work in marketing, so I'd recommend that you ask the professionals for a proper answer,

Hope this helps,

Martin Platt.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:00 AM
  • But have they done it well? We'd all be driving Model T Fords, listening to our I-River MP3 players and developing on OS2 if that was the case Wink

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:21 AM
  • There's lot of debate and dilemmas associated with your point Saiedh

Just two mention a couple

• NIH (Not Invented Here), the vicious of reinventing the wheel over and over just because what others have done is never enough
    • Buy vs Build, money is what everybody wants to collect, not to give. However, won't we save more money in the long term if we buy today instead of using that money for paying salaries of the people who will in-house build (therefore, people who couldn't do anything else in the meanwhile)?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:45 PM
  • More often than not the new ideas are driven by a unique requirement which is not being fulfilled by a product available in market or in an Open Source Software. Adding to that the constraints related to Hardware, platform, may be internet bandwidth etc also contribute to development of a new idea.

Say for example most of the VOIP services today do not perform well if you are on a dial up connection. But if we compress the packets and send them over internet we can achieve a good quality voice call over a dialup connection as well. So this leads to development of a new VOIP software that can work on any kind of internet connection.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:12 PM