Windows Media Player 12 treating my MFT as DMO RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to use my own decoder in Windows Media Player. My decoder is loaded as a Video DSP plugin. But CreateInstance is getting called with IMediaObject and not with IMFTransform. I need to use my decoder as MFT and not DMO.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 10:16 PM

All replies

• I am using Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 OS. I have registered my decoder as an MFT plugin (with WMP_PLUGINTYPE_DSP_OUTOFPROC). The WMP picks up the plug in. But it is calling Query Interface with only IMediaobject and not with IMFTransform. I see that mfpmp.exe is NOT launched for any of the files (mp3, wma) while they are playing fine.

I have not implemented IMediaObject as I want to use it as an MFT and not as a DMO.

Please let me know your inputs as to why IMFTransform is NOT getting called.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Windows Media Player uses both DirectShow and Media Foundation for playback.  If you are playing a format that goes through DirectShow, your plugin will not be inserted if it does not support IMediaObject.  Formats that go through Media Foundation should result in your DSP getting queried for IMFTransform.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 10:51 PM