Vertical Page Breaks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a report thats getting too clutered for one page so I'd like to have it print landscape and have a couple of the columns on a second page. While creating the report it lets me choose a page size but how do I get it to let me put controls to the right of the margin of the page? As I understand it that should accomplish what I want but as it stands I can't move controls off the page outline in the editor.

- Mike

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• No, not in the designer itself. Crosstab is the only one that will expand horizontaly.

Use a large Page size, when you print you'll have to set the paper to Portrait or to some format would scale the printer output.

Don

Don Williams
    • Proposed as answer by SAPDon Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rien1782 Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Not clear, when you say controls are you saying fields or formulae etc.?or are you saying you want to add buttons to the form on the right side of the viewer area?

CR doesn't setup in design mode for more than one page. If you select Landscape and view or print to a portrait page CR simply chops off the part it doesn't have room for. The default is not like a Crosstab report where it expands to the second page to print data.

What VS and CR version are you using?

Don

Don Williams
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.

By controls I mean labels and formula fields. No need for buttons or anything more complex because the reports are just going to be exported to PDFs. Still in win form land I suppose. Anyways, I'm linking to a picture of the report after its run with the information blanked out. Its very cluttered and I have to add more columns to it, just by the headings you should see what I mean.

The report was created in VS 2008 and I'm unclear on the version of crystal I'm using. I assume it'd be 10.5 because that coorelates to the autogenerated register tag that VS puts into the page code when I drop a crystal control onto it.

Here's the picture

- Mike

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Define a large paper size, typically people use HP Plotters. CR uses the default printer to format the report or which ever one you select before start creating the report.

It should then allow you to put objects in the printable area. As for putting objects outside we don't recommend doing that because it tends to skew the export of various types. If you need formula and other objects that are to be hidden then simply hide them or reduce them down to nothing.

Thanks

Don

Don Williams
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:53 PM
  • So theres no way to force the columns onto a second page? The page size is already 8.5x14 and quite unreadable when printed to fit an 8.5x11 sheet.

- Mike

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:55 PM
  • No, not in the designer itself. Crosstab is the only one that will expand horizontaly.

Use a large Page size, when you print you'll have to set the paper to Portrait or to some format would scale the printer output.

Don

Don Williams
    • Proposed as answer by SAPDon Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rien1782 Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Thats unfortunate.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi Rien,

You can split your data in two sections. Make two sections of you group header or page header , what you are using for showing column headings. Create two section for details section.

In section one of page/group header put the heading you want to show on first page, and put the fields relevant to page/group header one in first details section.

In section two of page/group header put the heading you want to show on second page, and put the fields relevant to page/group header two in second details section.

Place following formulas on the suppress section of page/group header one and detail section one

remainder(recordnumber,2) <> 1

Place following formulas on the suppress section of page/group header two and detail section two

remainder(recordnumber,2) = 1

Let me know if you need further assitance.

Thanks

Shahla Abbas - Please mark correct answer.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Just for a bit of clarification what do you mean by suppress section of the page/group? I'm not exactly an expert in crystal vocabulary.

- Mike

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:36 PM