none
Creating custom Active Directory resources RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am looking for a tool or just a programming example (C# or VB) that can help me create a custom resource, much like a printer but in this case the resource will have simple properties that I can use to map back to a database entry.

I say "resource" because I believe that a resource will give me the ability to add a user or group of users to this resource and grant R/W rights to the resource.

I also don't want a simple group object. I want more control and the ability to know that this resource is of a spcific type, in this case a Pharmacy location.

Does anyone know where I might find info on this.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:58 PM

Answers

• LDAP can be your database to hold custom objects like resources, roles, etc. In case you don't know about LDAP, it is your "private" Active Directory. Obviously, System Admins will not let you near their precious Active Directory (rightly so). LDAP, though, is totally yours to play with. It gives your one big benefit, at least: single sign-on, which means that you can validate user credentials against Company Active Directory (read-only access). 

Active Directory package in .NET is the API for LDAP. There are many examples on the net for how to get this accomplished.

A “pointer” to your database entry may be a resource to be granted access to.

Hope it helps,

Cheers

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:02 AM
  • try with much much care the ADSI Editor. I beive it's in the admn kit for windows server 2003.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:04 PM

All replies

• LDAP can be your database to hold custom objects like resources, roles, etc. In case you don't know about LDAP, it is your "private" Active Directory. Obviously, System Admins will not let you near their precious Active Directory (rightly so). LDAP, though, is totally yours to play with. It gives your one big benefit, at least: single sign-on, which means that you can validate user credentials against Company Active Directory (read-only access). 

Active Directory package in .NET is the API for LDAP. There are many examples on the net for how to get this accomplished.

A “pointer” to your database entry may be a resource to be granted access to.

Hope it helps,

Cheers

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:02 AM
  • try with much much care the ADSI Editor. I beive it's in the admn kit for windows server 2003.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:04 PM