USB Redirection from Desktop to Windows Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I am trying to redirect a USB software protection key from my local machine to a Windows Azure Virtual Machine where I want to run my software licensing application.  I am using Remote Desktop to connect to the VM.  I have changed the group policy on the local machine so that I can see the 'Other supported RemoteFX USB devices' option under the Local Devices setting of the Remote Desktop Connection.  My USB software protection key is visible as a supported device in this 'Other supported RemoteFX USB devices' section and it has been selected as a device to use in the remote session.

However, when I connect to the Windows Azure VM the USB device is not redirected and I can confirm this from the drivers in use on the VM.  Also, I have tried with both Win7SP1 and Win8Pro desktops to the standard gallery VMs for both Windows Server 2008R2 and 2012.  So far no luck.  Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hello Patrick.

Thank you for your reply.  I have kept persisting with this problem and still cannot come up with a native Azure-only solution.  My USB key supplier says that it must be a function of the Windows Azure Virtual Machine environment, likely the underlying Hyper-V configuration upon which the actual Azure VMs are created.  I tend to agree with him because I can successfully redirect the USB key to VMs using the likes of Virtual Box and Windows XP Mode in Win7SP1.

I have however been able to achieve the redirection that I need using a third-party product called ‘USB Redirector for RDP’ from an company called IncentivesPro.

This successfully redirects the USB software licensing key to the Azure VM, but requires installation of software drivers and applications on both the desktop and VM.  I have tested it from Win7SP1 to Azure VMs of both Windows Server 2008R2 and 2012.  Both worked.  Not ideal, but proves that such a redirection can be undertaken.

Why this isn’t simple and native within standard gallery Azure VMs then I do not know – it should be.

Cheers, Simon.

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:24 AM

All replies

• Welcome to the forum.

This redirection is unlikely to work. I know we have some storage devices like portal drives that will work in redirection. Your vendor is the team I would ask about using this key. Did they refer you to us?

Thanks!

Patrick [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hello Patrick.

Thank you for your reply.  I have kept persisting with this problem and still cannot come up with a native Azure-only solution.  My USB key supplier says that it must be a function of the Windows Azure Virtual Machine environment, likely the underlying Hyper-V configuration upon which the actual Azure VMs are created.  I tend to agree with him because I can successfully redirect the USB key to VMs using the likes of Virtual Box and Windows XP Mode in Win7SP1.

I have however been able to achieve the redirection that I need using a third-party product called ‘USB Redirector for RDP’ from an company called IncentivesPro.

This successfully redirects the USB software licensing key to the Azure VM, but requires installation of software drivers and applications on both the desktop and VM.  I have tested it from Win7SP1 to Azure VMs of both Windows Server 2008R2 and 2012.  Both worked.  Not ideal, but proves that such a redirection can be undertaken.

Why this isn’t simple and native within standard gallery Azure VMs then I do not know – it should be.

Cheers, Simon.

Friday, November 9, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Simon,

I appreciate your comments and I would hope we have a way to redirect as easy. I'm going to provide this to our developers with your input. My hope is we will have a solution that helps you out.

Thanks!

Patrick [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Team,

Any update related to this issue?

Regards,

Joan Manuel

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Simon,

If possible that you share additional details regarding the USB Redirector for RDP?.  I'm facing the same situation with a USB Protected Dongle Key.  I followed all of the steps mentioned on the Local RDP Client.  The Local machine recognized the Dongle Key, but on Azure VM not lucky yet.

Regards,

JoanM

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:34 PM