have report read input from a text file RRS feed

• Question

• User-1210839387 posted

using report builder 2.0

Is there a way just using report builder to have users enter data into a file and have the report read the input from a file.

Example:

UserInput into file:  1, 2, 3

read "1,2,3" and then feed that as param value to the report that could do something like

<ReportSQL>

SELECT * FROM someTable WHERE MyPrimarkKeyID IN (@InputVarFromFile)

--Which would be

SELECT * FROM someTable WHERE MyPrimaryKeyID IN (1,2,3)

</ReportSQL>

If yes, how do you do this?  what would the syntax be in the report to read from the file?

I realize another way would be create an assembly and have the assembly read from the report and then pass the values from the assembly to the report.

thanks

MC

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• User-830595639 posted

Hi Myron,

I don't think that you can directly read data from a text file, you can read a data from Excel. So I think you have to write the Assembly code and then you can read your input and pass it to the Report.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:31 AM

All replies

• User-830595639 posted

Hi Myron,

I don't think that you can directly read data from a text file, you can read a data from Excel. So I think you have to write the Assembly code and then you can read your input and pass it to the Report.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:31 AM
  • User-1210839387 posted

Hi Myron,

thanks, good idea,  that's actually what I was thinking over the weekend.

I was loading assembly and using them in report last week so I'll do the same thing

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:27 AM