none
CreateObject("Outlook.application") does not work in VB.net but does in VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create an email from VB.net. The code is as follows  Imports Outlook = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook

Public Class InputForm

Private Sub EmailTeam_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles EmailTeam.Click

Dim Subject As String

Dim Recipient As String

Dim Message As String

Subject = "My Team"

Recipient = "myemail@address"

Message = " Team details"

SendOutlookMail(Subject, Recipient, Message)

End Sub

Public Sub SendOutlookMail(Subject As String, Recipient As _

String, Message As String)

On Error GoTo errorHandler

Dim oLapp As Outlook.Application

Dim oItem As Object

oLapp = CreateObject("Outlook.application")

oItem = oLapp.CreateItem(0)

With oItem

.Subject = Subject

.To = Recipient

.body = Message

.Display()

'.Send()

End With

oLapp = Nothing

oItem = Nothing

Exit Sub

errorHandler:

oLapp = Nothing

oItem = Nothing

Exit Sub

End Sub

End Class

But when it gets to  oLapp = CreateObject("Outlook.application") it jumps to the errorHandler: and exits the sub routine. Why does CreateObject("Outlook.application") not work?

I do not get an error message but when I have run my code I get this output.   'MatchManagement.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: MatchManagement.vshost.exe): Loaded 'D:\My Documents on D\Visual Studio Projects\Match Management Application\MatchManagement\bin\Debug\MatchManagement.exe'. Symbols loaded. 'MatchManagement.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: MatchManagement.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'MatchManagement.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: MatchManagement.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime.Remoting\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Runtime.Remoting.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'MatchManagement.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: MatchManagement.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled. A first chance exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll The program '[4464] MatchManagement.vshost.exe' has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).

Whilst debugging I set a breakpoint and used F11 to step through code. Having got to the errorhandler I moved the arrow back to the start of the subroutine and carried on stepping.  On reaching the line oLapp = CreateObject("Outlook.application") I got the following error; An unhandled exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll   Additional information: Cannot create ActiveX component.

It is annoying but the same line of code works in VBA and Excel.

Dave

Friday, March 20, 2015 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Eugene

I load Office 365  whilst I still had 2007 Office loaded. Once I was happy with 365 Office I unloaded 2007.

It seems this damages Office 365.

Run a repair on Office 365 and all is working now.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 20, 2015 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

Take a look at the How to automate Outlook from another program article which describes different ways for creating a new Application instance. Did you have a chance to go the early-binding way?

For example:

oLapp = CreateObject("Outlook.application")

Try to use the following line of code instead:

oLapp = New Outlook.Application

What Outlook version do you have installed on the problematic PC? Do you have the ClickToRun edition of Office installed on the problematic PC?

Please take a look at the  Is OLE automation possible with virtualized Office versions ?  forum thread. It states: Click2Run apps have no automation interface and cannot be automated.

Finally, the You receive run-time error 429 when you automate Office applications article describes a similar issue in depth. Also see Cannot create ActiveX Component .

Friday, March 20, 2015 11:30 AM
  • What is the bitness of Outlook and your app?

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Friday, March 20, 2015 4:38 PM
  • Eugene

Hi, Tried using 

oLapp = New Outlook.Application

but got this error messagefrom the next line of code;  oItem = oLapp.CreateItem(0)

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in MatchManagement.exe

Additional information: Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155).

I have Office 365 loaded on my PC. The app I am developing is a copy of the one I have already developed using VBA and Excel on this PC and it works OK including creating emails in outlook. I have moved to VB.Net so I can be independent of Excel( using XML files to save the data)

Friday, March 20, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Hi Dmitry

I am running on 64 bit machine with 365 Office and Visual Studio Community 2013

Just found out the Outlook 2013 is 32 bit

Friday, March 20, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Hi Dmitry

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 20, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Hi Eugene

I load Office 365  whilst I still had 2007 Office loaded. Once I was happy with 365 Office I unloaded 2007.

It seems this damages Office 365.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 20, 2015 10:06 PM